Re-pointing patio slabs

I am in the process of pressure washing my patio, after that is finished I will need to re-point. Having tried both dry mortar and wet I have still managed to mark the slabs, though it has come off. Is there a reasonably easy and quick way of doing it and keeping the mortar off the slabs? I wondered if something akin to an icing bag might work. Any tips gratefully received.

Reply to
Broadback

I favour something in between. Dry doesn't really work because even a light spray of water tends to throw the powder all over the edges, and only reaches the top layer. Just slightly damp allows you to pack it firmly without any bleeding into the slab edges.

Is there a

Reply to
stuart noble

I the slabs are stone other than concrete or limestone/marble, treat them with brick acid to clean up afterwards, and use whatever works for you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have found that dry is fine - if there is no rain or other spray while still not firm. Overnight dew, or just what is wicked up from the existing slab/mortar, is enough to set the dry mix.

Reply to
Rod

Having done a lot of slabbing over the last year, I will never again use cement/sand mix for pointing the gaps. I always use brush-in ready made mortar mix, around £15 for a small bucket.£25ish for a large one. Gives a good finish, does not mark the slabs, and very easily applied. See here fir oen make of it:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Brush dry Postcrete into the cracks, mist coat with water. Set in 10 minutes but can be cleaned off bits it's not wanted on.

Reply to
EricP

The Medway Handyman

Any idea why they call it Ecofil? Doesn't appear to have any 'eco' credentials or claims.

Unless "Polybutadiene based product extended with silicaceous fillers. Contains less than 0.02% cobalt octoate." is super-eco-friendly. :-)

Rod

'eco' as in economical.

Reply to
Paul Herber

than sharp sand/cement, brushes off easily, so no stains, and available in multiple colours. I tend to do more buff slabs than grey, so it is a godsend being able to put in buff mortar. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Quite possible I suppose. Rather put off that interpretation by the price. :-)

Reply to
Rod