Hammerite onto powder coat

A quick one. I need to do some touching up on a powder coated wrought iron gate. I have Hammerite to hand and I'm not inclined to buy "better" paint unless I have to. One concern I have, though, is that the solvent in Hammerite might reac t with powder coat and make a sticky mess. Does anyone know whether this is likely to happen?

Cheers. Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

Test in inconspicuous area required?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

+1, but my guess is that it won't *react*, but probably won't stick very well either.
Reply to
newshound

Unless they have changed it, I think its OK as I did this some time back. However now its going rusty again. sulk. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Depends if it is 'old' Hammerite or the new stuff. The old stuff has a strong smell of cellulose thinners and touch dries in less than an hour. The new version seems more like normal gloss paint and smells like white spirit. The solvent in the old stuff would be more aggressive. Try in an inconspicuous corner. IMHO the new stuff is no better than normal gloss paint.

Reply to
Chris Holford