mortar mix for decorative garden wall

I've got some marshalite ash decorative bricks for a garden wall, see

The are basically stone effect, grey, but with some larger brown/yellow flecks (i.e. made of cement with some larger grit sand in it). Can anyone suggest a good mortar mix that will bring out the yellow tones in the bricks? I've seen the wall done with a brown stained mortar but it looks terrible. Basically, I don't want it to look like "cement" if you get the idea. Mix needs to be strong enough for a 4" thick wall with 8" piers every metre, about 6 courses high. Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'd use white Portland, lime and yellow sharp sand.

Its a nice rustic look. If you want it paler, try and get washed sand

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

photo + graphic editor should help decide

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Plus you can buy cement colouring dust to add in.

Reply to
harryagain

Grow stuff between the bricks at intervals

Reply to
stuart noble

Does the lime affect the colour ? I've not used it before and its another bag to buy ! Anyway, I'll have to get some white Portland and try it with the sand I have got (sharp and maybe a bit of soft) to see what it look like. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Lime owns the colour. Its white, and sand colour has only a little effect on that

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Garish colours though

Reply to
stuart noble

Depends how much you add. They fade streakily, except for iron oxide.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They will degrade back to something softer with weathering. My roof pointing was done in jet black mortar. It is now dark grey - which is better than the default light grey.

Reply to
Tim Watts

AFAIK all cement colours are synthetic iron oxides. Naturally occurring earth pigments should be more subtle. Umbers, siennas, ochres etc.

Reply to
stuart noble

Well, I've certainly used ones that aren't, and I know printing inks have been used, and various other things. Whether they're different now I don't know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr