What to do with Rusty metal gates?

Hi,
I have a number of ornate steel painted gates on my property that depsite being wire brushed etc and reapainted, still go rusty again after 12months or so.
Its time to do something to them again. I initially thought about having them shot blasted back to bare metal and then immediately repainted again. However, it crossed my mind about having them blasted and then powder coated?
Would this be durable, or is there a better process that I could try??
Input welcome
Cheers Tim..

In my limited experience powder coating is far superior to any paint.
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Its fine on simple metalwork, but if there are acute angles on the decorations, the paint will often not settle down in the cracks.
Steve

You could paint them with POR-15. I've never used it, but everyone I know who has has raved about the stuff, such that I've bought some to paint bits of my car with, and will probably use it for the oil tank in the garden.
writes:

Thanks, who is this made by? Typical source of it?
Tim..
" Tim \(Remove NOSPAM." wrote

I first heard about this stuff on the [old] Land Rover lists. They raved about it on there too, for painting chassis and the like.
I can dig back into it, some of the old Land Rover folk will know of a source.
Post on here (or privately) if you cant find any.
Cheers,
Paul.

Would this be better than Hammerite [which only lasted about 3 years] for a mild-steel fire escape? And would it go on OK over old Hammerite? If so, more info would be appreciated.
--
roger
delete x's to email

Yes
Not sure, probably not. I'd brush off any flakes and paint over if it was me. There'll be a data sheet on the POR site, (URL is on the site below)

Yep, no problems, Frost (auto restoration products) stock it.
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID 17
HTH
Cheers,
Paul.
snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com (Zymurgy) writes:

I got mine from snipped-for-privacy@rust.co.uk
On 3 Apr 2004 17:50:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Galvafroid is another alternative.
cheers, Pete.

Well...if you imagine a 15 foot x 4 foot gate with about 25 vertical twisted bars and some ornate twirly bits on the top that would be it, so its not massively complex...
Tim..

Hmm. We don't (you'll not be surprised to know) have what the OP called 'ornate' metalwork. I bow to your greater experience :-) I did say tht my experience was 'limited'!
Mary

Wire brush them again, then again after applying Jenolite. Prime with red lead - you can still get it from a decent paint supplier.
--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

Tim (Remove NOSPAM. used his keyboard to write :

Powder coating is reputed to be far supperior to paint.

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Powder coating IS painting. It has its plus points, but for the best finish, or a high gloss, you still need a wet spray finish.
You can't powder coat non-metallics.
And you can't powder coat the insides of small items.
Steve
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

...doesn't work well on castings either.

I tried it on a radiator
12 months on and it's crazed badly
--
geoff

writes

depsite
12months
having
again.
Possibly the constant heating and cooling? Didnt think powder coating was any good for things that get really hot- i.e. a radiator???
Tim..

My first question Tim is what kind of paint youre using and how many coats. Some paint types are just pants, including some that are sold specifically for this job, and some are good but very prone to pinholing, so that 1 coat only is ineffective.
Car spray paints do a good job, but you really have got to get the metal spotless, and with wrought metal its usually hopeless trying to get the crevices cleaned up with a wire brush.
When you say wire brush, do you mean by hand or a wire brush in a power tool like a drill or angle grinder? Huge difference.
I guess the ultimate coating would be to sand blast them and zinc dip them. Lead dipping would probably also work well but I expect would be frowned on now. But I've not tried dipping and have no idea of prices, so dipping might well not be a good solution.
Powder coating is durable, and is the standard finish on electronic equipment metal cases used by the military and commercial users who pay the price for thoroughly specced equipment. But with crevices youre in trouble, I dont see it dealing with those. Also powder coating does not stop rust that well: where it scratches it rusts.
Car underseal is good for rust stopping, but it is a relatively soft coating. There are self healing ones that recover holes after damage.
It might be worth asking a blacksmith what they finish their commissioned work with.
However, I would not be surprised if there is simply a problem in the method of preparation, the type of paints used, or the way theyre applied, so do tell.
Regards, NT

When the gates were made, by a local blacksmith he red-oxide-ed them and they were then painted gloss white. I daresay that the initial rust removal from the then-new steel was less than perfect. ~12 years on and several more coats of white gloss and the rust has taken hold underneath so comes through again quickly.
They are going to have to be shot / sand blasted to begin with.
My query was more what to do after. To finish I want a darkish green matt colour rather than the original white, and I just wondered if there was a better treatment than paint, as I dont want to have to do it all again in a short time.
I could possibly have them hot dip galvanised, but what paint / treatment could I put on that after?
Cheers Tim..