Clogged Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer

Yesterday I got out my spray can of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Can is at last 1/2 full. Shook it for about 5 seconds until the marble inside the c an began to rattle. Continued to shake it (vigorously) for at least 30 sec onds. Depressed the nozzle and got one short (1/2 second at most) spray of paint, then nothing. Checked the nozzle, it is open, there is a clog som ewhere in the inside.

I will call Rustoleum on Monday to take advantage of their satisfaction gua rantee. But, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent this from happening to my new can. Any ideas??

Reply to
hrhofmann

This seems to happen to any brand of spray paint that sits a long time. I've tried nozzles off other cans and that usually dont work. I too dont understand why this happens, but it does..... It must be down inside the can. I've never found any way to fix em.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Shaking 30 seconds or even a minute may not be enough on an old can of paint. All it takes is one small lump of unmixed base material to plug up the pickup. It might take several minutes to really get it mixed if it has been sitting very long.

Hold the can upside down when you are shaking it at least half the time. At a certain point, old cans are just junk.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'll bet that can is at least five years old. Anything that old or older will clog, spit and fizzle. The only way to solve that problem is to pitch them and buy new ones.

DAMHIKT

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

at last 1/2 full. Shook it for about 5 seconds until the marble inside th e can began to rattle. Continued to shake it (vigorously) for at least 30 seconds. Depressed the nozzle and got one short (1/2 second at most) spray of paint, then nothing. Checked the nozzle, it is open, there is a clog somewhere in the inside.

guarantee. But, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent th is from happening to my new can. Any ideas??

i had a can of spray paint that was nearly full and wouldnt spray.

i tossed it in a large bucket of very hot water, then shook it forever.

that actually worked

Reply to
bob haller

I've used an electric sander, with no sandpaper, to vibrate the the spray can. That seemed to help the mixing process.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I had a can that was at least half full, and it would not spray. While buring off a large pile of brush and other trash, I tossed the can in the fire. All of the paint came out of the can, as the can launched about 100 feet in the air. I always figure if the can cant be used to paint, it's worth the entertainment of blowing it up. (cheap fireworks). Of course I live out in the country and my burn pile is far from buildings, so I can do it safely. Just get yourself far enough away, because you never know which direction it will launch, and dont do it if the weather has been very dry, or you could start a grass fire.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

at last 1/2 full. Shook it for about 5 seconds until the marble inside the can began to rattle. Continued to shake it (vigorously) for at least 30 s econds. Depressed the nozzle and got one short (1/2 second at most) spray of paint, then nothing. Checked the nozzle, it is open, there is a clog s omewhere in the inside.

uarantee. But, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent thi s from happening to my new can. Any ideas??

I like the "toss the can in a fire" idea, but it is too citified where I li ve to do that. Can is two years 11 months since I bought it at our local M enards. I don't know how to read the codes on the bottom of the can so I d on't know exactly when it was manufactured. It had been about a year since I last used it, but I shook the hell out of it for well more than a minute and that should have been enuf to mix things up pretty good and dissolve a ny lumps, but obviously it was not!!!!@.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I had a clogged spray can of paint, years ago. I used a prick punch type can opener to put s amall hole in the can, made sure to punch the top where the propellant was. Figured I could drain off the gas, and then enlarge the hole and pour the paint out. Put the paint on with a brush.

When the propellant came out, it brought paint with it. I got paint on my hands, the kitchen sink, the punch tool, and all kind of other places I didn't want to have painted. oops.

Won't be doing that again any time.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I live to do that. Can is two years 11 months since I bought it at our loc al Menards. I don't know how to read the codes on the bottom of the can so I don't know exactly when it was manufactured. It had been about a year s ince I last used it, but I shook the hell out of it for well more than a mi nute and that should have been enuf to mix things up pretty good and dissol ve any lumps, but obviously it was not!!!!@.

just today i dropped smething on a can of aerosol oil laying on the basemen t floor.

it must of put a small hole in the can, in moments i was in a oil fog.....

no arm done it was a small can anddidnt hold much, likely near empty.

my bad knee huts, my back hurts, its a big job down there and at 58 with ar thritis of that knee its a real chore.

i hurt and am exhausted, the thunder and lightnign have quit for now its ti me for a hot shower

Reply to
bob haller

Ah, those surprise moments. Like the time I drilled a spray can of Deep Lube with a twist drill.

Sorry to hear you're aches and pains. Hope a good night sleep helps.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just turned 63 and have arthritis in my shoulders and elbows. The knees crack and creak, but at least I can still get around. I've thought of getting myself a cane, but I just can't bring myself to do it, yet.

Reply to
rebel

You can alway say it's just for unclogging spray cans, and you carry your cane all day in case you need to unclog a spray can.

There is something called Cane-Fu which is a self defense training class for cane users. If I lived in a higher crime area, I'd totally research this, and maybe take the class.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Cane-fu? 50 ways to beat an intruder? hahaha!

Reply to
rebel

uarantee. But, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent thi s from happening to my new can. Any ideas??

Monday noonish I called Rustoleum, and after going thru a number of phonme transfers, got to speak with a real human. I gave her my name and address and some info from the printing on the bottom of the can, the purchase pric e including tax, and she said the check would be in the mail within 4 weeks .

Can't complain about that kind of service, all my money back for the replac ement can I had to buy, and I got some use of the spray last year.

I carefully put a nail on the top of the can, surrounded it with a good thi ck cloth, and had an empty jar available. Hit the nail with one good blow and punctured the can and immediately put it upside down over the jar and r emoved the cloth. Captured about 1/2 cup of the paint, and didn't get any on myself or the driveway. Don't have an immediate use for the salvaged sp ray material, but maybe will give it to someone I know who has some tools t hat could use a coating.

Reply to
hrhofmann

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com posted for all of us...

You also designed Takata air bags...

Reply to
Tekkie®

A check from Rustoleum covering the cost of the can of paint and the sales tax arrived at my home on Saturday. All they needed from me were the various numbers on the bottom of the can.

They will have my future business because they treated me so well. I wanted everyone to know that they are definitely a reputable company.

Reply to
hrhofmann

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net posted for all of us...

IIRC correctly a division of Sherwin Williams.

Reply to
Tekkie®