Preparing rusty metal Victorian skylight

We have several opening skylights which are rusty inside. Having cleaned off all the old paint and surface rust, the surface is slightly pitted with ingrained rust. Best preparation before painting? Jenolite? Assuming Jenolite does the job, follow by primer, undercoat and ordinary gloss top coat?

Thanks!

Reply to
Graeme

angle grinder & wire wheel. I guess you mean phosphoric acid. You'll need that or HCl to get in the nooks the grinder won't.

Depending on how long you want it to last, you could electroplate it in situ with zinc.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hell's teeth! I'm thinking in terms of gentle DIY decorating! :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Hmm, at my old school they had windows like that, they used rust inhibiter some zinc paint the hammerite over the tope they appear to still be there according to other people who went there and I'm talking about the 1950s! The hammerite stuff I remember cos I never did understand how a paint dried with a non smoothe surface. I was only a child at the time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes I was thinking the same, one assumes its a conservation area, if its not badly compromised what I said in my last would probably still be ok today. Mind you that zinc and the rust inhibitor might today be seen as dangerous I guess and replaced by some other stuff that does not work so well. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Which bit don't you like? Zinc plating is easy to do. HCl is not the friendliest chemical but it makes rust removal quick & easy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr