Toslink adaptor.

Got a Toslink to analogue converter between TV and sound system. Not old. Got an odd fault. It powers up with the audio system. 5v USB wall wart power supply. LED on the unit looks normal. But doesn't work, until I hot unplug and replug the USB lead. Tried a different PS - same thing. Once it starts up, works normally all the time it's left on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

We don't know what your converter is made of. This is just an example.

"Resetting

It is not clear from reading the spec sheets, but the entire circuit must be reset completely each time a digital signal becomes present.

This is not as much of an issue for use with computers and CD players where the S/PDIF signal is always present, and the simple manual reset circuit may be used if desired.

Note that if this is used, it must be reset after power-up to begin decoding audio."

Another converter, it used a PLL for some reason, and perhaps that could free-wheel and always have a clock, compared to the CrystalSemi based design in that article.

Digital circuits do not need a reset... if the function is simple enough, the undefined states in the state machine all lead back to defined states and so on. And there are no safety hazards, such as tristate bus drivers which contain no mutual exclusion logic. I've had a few smoke because of hazards, where my assumptions were temporarily not met (tin can oscillator unplugged at power up, sync-reset failed, bus drivers arm-wrestled each other until magic smoke appeared).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

My original convertor - a so called pro unit with balanced outputs - had to be set to the correct input each time it was powered up.

This one has worked as I'd expect until a couple of days ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Does the tv get turned off at the mains? I wondered about the different boot up times. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No - just with the remote.

Doesn't seem to make a difference if the TV is switched on before the AV system, or the other way round. AV is normally first.

It seems to have sorted itself, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News