Metal primer

Looking for a suitable primer for use on a machine accessory that I'm building at the moment. I want a good foundation so that a top coat is likely to stay on and not blister off or chip too easily in normal use and handling.
Aerosol or brush application and readily available if at all possible
Materials involved on this project are a mix of black and bright mild steel and MIG filler wire. This item is 2m long so no opportunity to use "her" oven of any heat treatment even when " she" is not looking!
Something that could also be effective on aluminium alloy for future widgets would make the primer even more attractive but not essential.
Any suggestions please?
Tia Bob
On 28/06/2014 11:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

Zinc chromate primer works well on both steel and aluminium.
For a de-luxe, money-no-object answer, marine grade epoxy primer.
--
Colin Bignell

On 28/06/14 11:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

For the iron, red oxide primer is cheap and fairly effective.

Aluminium usually requires and etch primer or direct application of certain new formulation paints.
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Looking for a suitable primer for use on a machine accessory that I'm building at the moment. I want a good foundation so that a top coat is likely to stay on and not blister off or chip too easily in normal use and handling.
Aerosol or brush application and readily available if at all possible
Materials involved on this project are a mix of black and bright mild steel and MIG filler wire. This item is 2m long so no opportunity to use "her" oven of any heat treatment even when " she" is not looking!
Something that could also be effective on aluminium alloy for future widgets would make the primer even more attractive but not essential.
Any suggestions please?
As you suggest it's heat proof, a good local powder coating company will be a good move.
On 28/06/2014 11:01, Bob Minchin wrote:

Get a a can of acid etch primer ....
( UPOL Acid Etch Primer in Halfords for example. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-body-fillers/u-pol-acid-8-etch-primer )
Then 2 coats of high build primer on top ... follwed by your paint finish. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-body-fillers/u-pol-acid-8-etch-primer

Rick Hughes wrote:

I'd looked at upol#8 Rick but saw that it was good for aluminium and galvanised metal so wondered if it was still suitable for raw steels.
Bob