hammerite paints

Good morning,

I have just moved house and I have a metal gate with some light surface rust. I was wondering about painting it but I thought I remembered some comments here that Hammerite isn't what it used to be and has been reformulated to use white spirits as a solvent rather than xylene.

Is this true? I couldn't see any Hammerite thinners at B&Q but may be I didn't look hard enough. The tin of paint implied it still used xylene. Perhaps this was old stock?

Is it just the solvent that has changed or the whole formulation? How is a xylene-based paint better? If I bought a xylene-based paint such as the Flag brand, sold at toolstation, would that be better?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 08:07:55 +0100, Stephen wrote: [...]

Strict EU environmental regulations have ruined many once great products and Hammerite is sadly one of the very many affected.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I have a note stored away from previous discusiions to look at Rustoleum and POR15 as alternatives.

Reply to
Robert

You mean it's actually got worse? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These days they usually keep the thinners locked away in a cupboard somewhere - you have to ask for it at the desk. It's to make it harder for the "sniffers"!

Reply to
Davidm