smart meters

Should be called dumb meters. Being rather silly I ignore the advice here and opted for one. It is very flaky at the least. trying to get sense for Eon, the owners is a waste of time, withe one goes around in circles they ask you to phone them, as far as I am concerned I have spent enough time, and am now sick of it. Can I just ignore it (it is failing at the moment). Alternatively can I have it removed?

Reply to
Broadback

I'm not aware that Ofgem have a clear position on /physical/ removal as opposed to having the the meter operate with "smart" functionality turned off.

But it seems to me a prior question is in what way it is "flaky" and why. On that it's easy to lodge an official complaint with Eon. That gets you into a regulated process which the suppliers have to follow.

Reply to
Robin

well don't make your post any vaguer.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It is indeed sad that something as simple as this suffers from bugs. These really could be most useful but I've heard all sorts of stories about the new ones and how they seem to malfunction for no apparent reason. The companies must be cursing them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The problems might actually be due to these powerline adaptors interfering with the electronics. They just need to put a ruddy great capacitor across the supply!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It appears that the act of testing them in the factory breaks them. Ask for an un-tested one....

or

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

In theory of course you need never look at it as it will inform your supplier about your usage.

You could ask Eon if they would be willing to replace it with a dumb meter. There would almost certainly be a charge.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The ultimate purpose is nothing to do with that.

harry

In what way is it failing? The installers usually go away again when they discover that there is no networks signal at the electricity meter, but that doesn't stop them mithering you incessantly. Targets must be met to avoid penalties even if the kit being fitted doesn't work!

Changing your supplier to any other will usually have that effect.

Reply to
Martin Brown

How is it failing? Well in many ways. At the moment it will not update nor download data, in other words it is a dumb meter. Eon failed to respond to my complains until after several days when I was phoned by a foreigner, whose accent was so thick that I could not understand him. Very frustrating.

Reply to
Broadback

Must be those USB sockets. I have a wall socket with a switch which fixes those...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Nah, I tested mine when I first bought them, they use bugger all.

12p and hour is about 900W.

Base level stuff in my house is about 100 Watts. That is router,switches, WiFi standard stuff. Fridge and Freezer put it up to about 250 W.

Perhaps he has a wife, I've heard they can be expensive, even on stand by?

Reply to
Pancho

Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :

My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works out at £0.03664.

That is 87p per day.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Pancho pretended :

100w as a base load is still a helluva lot.

My base load is Fridge/freezer, upright freezer, 2x routers, 3x TV's on standby, 1x radio on standby, 1x electro/mechanical timeclock, 1x auto- occupancy switch, heating controls and 4x USB chargers which are always on.

As said earlier - My hourly consumption, averaged out over a year, works out at £0.03664. That is 87p per day including meter.

That includes when I up and about, heating pump running, lights TV's on etc..

I am up now, big screen TV on, laptop on, no heating, but usual baseload - showing 97w

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I should have enclosed it in a couple of /sarc's

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Its not legal to put her in a couple sacks anymore.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

It is a target to aim for in a modern house with things like burglar alarm, emergency lights, router, cooker, freezer, fridge, TV, phone, radio, clocks and hifi all taking their share. Most homes use more!

Routers are actually quite power hungry. And if you have an older TV from when TDTV was new some of them by default consume almost as much in "standby" as they do when they are on. This is well worth checking!

I'd quite like a router that did wake on LAN and suspended itself when there was no internet traffic for more than 15 minutes. My router is the largest base load component at 12W followed by alarm and kitchen things at about 5W that have LED time/temperature displays on them lit 24/7.

My daytime load is typically 400W mostly for computers and a printer.

Reply to
Martin Brown

1 Modem, 1 Router, 1 Wifi access point, 4 Switches, 1 IP camera, 1 Radio garage door opener, 4 Cordless phone chargers, 1 Headset charger, 1 TV standby, 3 Raspberry Pi's, CH thermostat, 2 sets of PC speakers (one set was about 8 watts when PC was off), Cooker standby, Microwave standby, 2 Pir lights and no doubt lots I have forgotten.

It easily adds up.

I think cost is about 1 £/watt/year. Given how rapidly technology changes I'm dubious that paying for more efficient equipment would be cost effective.

Reply to
Pancho

Can your supplier see your electricity meter?

Ours has been installed for 12 weeks now and neither our supplier, nor our in-home display, can see the electricity meter. Despite the gas readings being sent through it!

Latest from the supplier is that the current issue is well known in the industry and is currently 'insurmountable'. But the industry is still installing them and inviting customers to book appointments.

Waiting for a response to our complaint with OfGEM.

It is worth getting one of the smart switches so that all unnecessary peripherals are powered down when your PC is off. PC speakers seem particularly badly designed mine draws the same power on *or* off (unless you really wind the wick right up and shake the windows)!

Worth saving the odd 10W here and there if you can. Hard to get much below 100W in a modern house full of gizmos and gadgets though.

OTOH if you can find an add on for about a tenner to save 10W it pays for itself inside a year. Some eco tariffs will give you one for the TV and one for your PC like a 3 way adaptor master/slave/always on.

Or you can get smart master/slave sockets - one such is:

Not tried this one. Mine is a previous generation (better made).

Energenie ones are overpriced. Other brands are available.

Reply to
Martin Brown