smart meters

Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated on Thursday :

That is extravagant...

Mine is £71 per month combined gas and electric bills spread over the

12 months.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I have mentioned before that this house is an ex guest house, with shop on the side. When we moved in, there were nine WCs, five showers, two baths, nine hand basins and four sinks! The bathroom we didn't use was a carbuncle tacked on the side of the house, containing WC, basin and shower, although they (and the electric towel rail!) have now been removed, thanks in no small part to much advice from this group. That room is now used to store coal and firewood :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Andrew laid this down on his screen :

I just use an ancient solar timeclock controlling my outside light, I have it set to switch off at midnight.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Andrew laid this down on his screen :

Plus underground storage.

Its potentially dangerous to turn gas supplies off. Some older appliances lack a flame failure and would spew gas out if it came back on, with the appliance left on.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Any details of make ?

Reply to
Andrew

My Sharp combi-microwave oven has an eco setting that shuts off the lcd clock display after 5 minutes. No idea how much power that saves

Reply to
Andrew

Dementia ?. DO you forget which one you had a pee in last ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The old CB kit used to need a fairly beefy power supply from what I remember.

Is your stuff still full of valves ?

Reply to
Andrew

gas 0.00, lecy 201.56/month, oil ~2,000.00/year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

day time is around 1000 W. 400 W is more or less the overnight minimum. Must try and find where it's all going...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bugger all if it's passive with no backlight. (Well, hardly any power as battery LCD clocks &c. work for years.)

Reply to
Max Demian

I thought they always had a bimetallic strip heated by the (pilot) flame.

Reply to
Max Demian

That's obviously not a domestic electric usage then ?, or do you have heat pump of some sort ?

Reply to
Andrew

That's a lot.

My 6-core amd win7/32 4g machine plus a samsung TV as a monitor plus netgear switch is 140 watts while typing this.

Reply to
Andrew

spring quarter to June

66 electric, 27 gas

HTH

tim

Reply to
tim...

Sangamo?

Reply to
charles

no sorry I meant dwelling flats ...sorry...but caravans as well ....no idea the logic behind that...things may have changed ... new cookers may now all have them......much safer

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

'Flame Failure' device. They're mandatory on caravan and boat cookers certainly, I'm not sure about ordinary domestic ones though it would make a lot of sense. I've occasionally missed a burner turned on but not alight on our hob.

The ones I've come across (boat installed hobs) have thermocouples rather than bimetallic strip (which I take to be a 'clicky' type thing). The thermocouple generates enough voltage/current to hold a small solenoid valve open. Working this way means it's pretty fail safe unless the valve sticks open. They do occasionally fail the other way though, failing to stay open when you release the manual override for turning on.

Reply to
Chris Green

Three supplies, historic as the place has evolved. First just the house (1967), then the barn was converted to a B&B/Tearoom (1980), finally the byre converted to dwelling to be occuppied by the previous owners son who ened up in a wheel chair after a motorbike accident (1996 & E7).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice