OT Spare bog roll storage

Having watched a few TV programs in the last few days where the cameras enter peoples toilet/bathrooms, why do people store their spare bog roll(s) om the floor next to the toilet bowl? In one case around a dozen rolls had been taken out of the plastic wrapper and placed in a wicker basket touching the side of the toilet bowl.

Ignoring aerosol fallout from flushing, there is a good chance of amiss-aim orsplash back contamination.

Reply to
alan_m

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> writes

I can report a better one than that..... two bog rolls carefully balanced on the towel which is folded over the radiator!

I suppose one might notice and move them before washing your hands......

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I dont. If it is anywhere out of its cupboard its on top of the cistern

Oddly enough bog paper gets pretty contaminated when you use it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes why do people take them all out, its only a plastic bag, or is the new ban on plastic going to mean a return to loose rolls? The answer of course is to fit a hand basin with a vanity/cupboard under it where you can put the spares and all the cleaning gear you need. I do sometimes think that when they do these houses the lack of storage in sensible places lets them down. Houses are to be lived in and the design should reflect that and be a little less designer, ie designer clothes are often impractical and there to create a look, but you can take clothes off, you have to live in a house. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Seems to me also that bog rolls are far too small, if they were made at least twice as big and mounted in a container at right angles to the normal bog roll holder the diameter could be huge, the likelihood of it getting contaminated less and you could even include a tear off strip in the carrier. It used to be all th4e rage in Hotel toilets, but not domestic ones, for some reason. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

not to mention the nozzle effect

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Izal medicated in the wee cardboard box is what they want

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Brian Gaff submitted this idea :

Twice as big, as in twice the diameter I assume?

If you mean is a sort of metal case, with an opening at the base for the roll end to come out - I still see those in public toilets. Incredibly annoying they are, when the roll end becomes lost inside.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Brian Gaff explained on 29/07/2019 :

I used to like to store them in the airing cupboard, where they fitted perfectly one on top of the other in a tall stack, between the stud wall studs. SWMBO likes them on a kitchen roll holder, on the floor, in each toilet, despite there being shelves in each an under wash-basin vanity in the bathroom.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

plus they tend to narrow and single ply resulting in many people pulling out a massive handful every time.

Reply to
alan_m

Is it my imagination or is the Andex roll smaller than it used to be, for it is certain that Colman's horseradish is in a smaller jar than a couple of years ago (we have empty examples of both)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

We have a not particularly elegant plastic tube, tall enough to hold five rolls, with a lid. It is restocked from a high storage shelf in the downstairs loo (which is a fairly big room).

We do, however, have a 'blue roll' dispenser in the kitchen. Very useful and economical stuff at only £1.20 a roll.

Reply to
Bob Eager
8<

They are smaller, its inflation caused by the drop in the pound and other things.

Reply to
dennis

Plenty of 'scrape' where you need it.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Before the German discounters realised that the UK wanted 2 or 3 ply fluffy toilet paper they used to sell something very similar to izal but in a roll form. It was narrower than what we are used to, it was near waterproof and very cheap. They sold it in 24 roll packs. The disadvantage it was almost like the non-flushable wipes in that once caught on some obstruction water didn't quickly beak up the fibres and it acted like a dam in sewer pipe.

Reply to
alan_m

I remember when people hid the spare roll under a cute cosy. And bath mat sets had a fluffy thing to put on the seat lid, tied with ribbons. What was that for? I suppose you could sit bare-arsed on it to talk to someone in the bath. Didn't Victorian ladies receive visitors while "on the throne"?

Reply to
Max Demian

Andy Bennet explained on 29/07/2019 :

Makes/made your eyes water :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You weren?t supposed to use it to wipe your eyes.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Slight drift.

I always keep the toilet door shut after I once came home from work to find the toilet roll unwound, run down the stairs (via the lounge for some reason) and out through the cat flap.

Reply to
ARW

your cat must have been watching the Andrex puppy on tv

Reply to
charles