and a few killdeer babies and eggs just as they were hatching May 1st:
http://www.anthive.com/img/killdeer/thm/DSC_20200501_120450-0400_323_Killdeer_Babies_thm.jpg
songbird
On 2020-05-25 04:50, songbird wrote:

How do you keep weeds out of the surrounding gravel/rocks?
Pretty picture.
On the other pictures, were they suppose to be underwater?
T wrote:

have to be weeded once in a while. not too many weeds get in them, but some do. especially in places where dirt has been accumulating for 20+yrs. we just removed a few fairly useless pathways around some gardens inside the fence because they took more time to weed than they would take to take care of as a garden space. so finally i talked Mom into getting rid of them so we'd have more room for veggies. :)

no, that's just what happens in that area because it is the lowest spot of the yard back there. if i knew we were going to be gardening as much as we are back there i'd have asked and even paid for bringing in more topsoil. it is all subsoil and mostly clay so it takes some time to get it into decent garden soil. always flash floods back there when it rains. the drainage is pretty good though it is usually drained off again within a few hours of a storm unless the entire area gets flooded. it takes about 4-11inches of rain to get the water to come over the road (depending upon how soggy the ground is when it starts raining).
http://www.anthive.com/project/water/
songbird
On 2020-05-30 03:34, songbird wrote:

Your favorite weeding tool for your gravel/rocks?
T wrote: ...

ground pillow to sit on.
large bladed dull knife with a comfortable handle to get the more stubborn ones out. otherwise most of it is done by hand.
better thing to do would be to design it in such a way that any dirt that falls on the area falls through a grid so it can be washed away or collected somehow. a strong metal mesh and enough support to hold it all up...
songbird