a few pics from the other day

onion sprouts that survived the winter with no mulch or other care. the thicker row could use some thinning if i want larger onions, but i doubt i'll take the time and just eat them all as green onions. this was just an experiment anyways to see how those old seeds would even sprout and grow at all and then if they would survive the winter.

the garlic patch, the green garlic is off to the right side with the larger plants being those grown for harvest later this summer:

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Looks about like the garlic my wife planted last fall and I asked about. I pulled one and there was no clove yet so it may take a few months more. Sort of surprised it was not winter killed.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Frank wrote: ...

no, they won't get a bulb this early, it takes a while to build up roots and greenery and plus the sunshine has to be strong enough to provide all that energy which gets stored in the bulb.

you can lift early garlic and eat it as a green garlic like you would eat a green onion or even cook it up (the more you cook it the more it will taste like a cooked green onion).

i don't harvest the garlic here until late June or into July depending upon the weather.

as for being winter hardy, different types of garlic have different tolerances. the garlic i grow here is a hardneck garlic which has been grown here for 100yrs or more.

songbird

Reply to
songbird