killdeer hatchlings

usually they are hatched and gone before i can get a picture of them. today i happened to be lucky and got a few pictures of them as they were hatching out. two of the four were hatched when i first checked and then i went back a while later and checked again and the rest were hatched.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

oh .. they are so cute!

Reply to
Natural Girl

HERE AT THE POOR CRUSHED BIRD!!" act while you were taking the pictures. (I am always amazed at how "stepped on" they manage to look.)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

yeah! all legs and feet.

they also move out pretty quickly. i couldn't find them the next day, but they were around as the parents were still trying to decoy and lead away.

i hope to see them running around soon and get a few more pictures.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

at times, but these birds were hatched and raised here before so they are quite tame. at times i've been a few feet away and the bird would sit on the eggs and just look at me. not even make a peep or flutter. as long as i didn't stop and look at them... when i tried to get closeup pics with camera it was never the way. then they'd flutter a bit, but if i went over to the other side of one garden and sat down they'd eventually let up and go back to tending the eggs.

the day before the eggs hatched we had four people digging up plants a few feet from the eggs and the bird just stood there and peeped at us.

each year when they come back and make a nest and lay eggs i try to spend some time just sitting and watching so they get used to me being there. it helps keep the noise and fluttering to a minimum. i was tempted when they were hatching to imprint the young but then i realized i really wasn't daddy material...

still i hope to see them running around shortly. when the weather breaks and i can get some more planting done.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Reply to
Billy

songbird wrote: ...

not been able to get any pictures, they are off in the distance and i hear them about most days, haven't seen.

a few days ago one of the parents flew into the garden (near where the nest was) where i was puttering and it landed on a large rock and bobbed it's head. i bobbed mine in return (like i was doing when i was sitting and watching it and it would bob it's head and i would bob mine). kinda funny. then it took off. i think it was saying hello. or maybe hoping for another juicy junebug...

songbird

Reply to
songbird