OT: Age-restricted

Why does a Stanley Thermos flask, purchased from Amazon, require somebody aged 18 or older to sign for it on delivery?

Reply to
Davey

Whoever decided that perhaps saw "Stanley" and jumped to knife?

Reply to
Broadback

'cos it might be full of alcohol?

Reply to
charles

There's a scientific conundrum there.

You know that a Thermos Flask keeps hot things hot and cold things cold, at any one time, how does it know which one to do? :-)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

It all depends on the cat you put inside being alive or dead.

Reply to
alan_m

Is it a glass internal type? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That will be AI then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually though it gaols me to say it, but I imagine the reason is the obvious one ie its called Stanley as in Stanley knife and the idiots have never worried about the word after Stanley That brand is on almost everything from steel rules to saw blades sandwich boxes flasks indeed anything a handyman might carry, I guess if your name is Stanley it might apply to you as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No, it's a standard Stanley stainless-steel flask. The smallest they make, although I doubt that that made any difference.

Reply to
Davey

Could be.

The other confusing thing was that the pre-delivery blurb said that a picture ID would be required, but the East European driver actually asked for my date of birth, and scrolled the date on his device to enter it. No check apart from my say-so. And the fact that I do not look to be under 18.

Reply to
Davey

A mixture of the two confuses it utterly!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

all delivery signatures are to be 18+, otherwise they're legally valueless.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But this is the first time I have received notification of an 18+ signature requirement. And for a Stanley flask?

Quote: "A valid photographic ID will need to be shown to the driver on delivery, along with a signature. This is an additional measure to ensure our age verification requirements are adhered to by Amazon.

By sharing your ID, you are helping us to ensure items that are intended for people over 18 end up in the right hands.

Due to the importance of verifying age when delivering these products, age restricted items can only be delivered to the customer?s address, they cannot be delivered to a neighbour?s address or left in a safe place. In addition, they can?t be delivered to a locker or Pickup Point."

Note the middle paragraph.

Reply to
Davey

We had this for the first time yesterday. My (23 year old) son had some vape fluid delivered, and he had been warned but didn't believe the driver would check. he had to rush off and find his ID!

I had an oscilloscope delivered recently, and the package had a large label stating that it had to be delivered to the actual delivery address: not to a neighbour, and not by depot pickup. I guess that was by value, but I've bought more expensive things! New one on me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Professors Heisenberg and Schroedinger were driving along when they were pulled up by the ploddery. The plod asked whether they knew that they were doing 60MPH in a 30MPH zone which caused Heisenberg to exclaim that he was now lost. The plod then searched the car and said do you know that there is a dead car in the boot, to which Schroedinger replied that he did now :-)

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

earlier this year I found a parcel, moderately valuable, left on the doorstep, It had been consigned "To be signed for".

Reply to
charles

Aren't all signatures on those small electronic pads legally valueless?

Reply to
alan_m

Perhaps you live in, or close to, an area in the country with a delivery blacklist due to a large number of fraudulent transactions.

Reply to
alan_m

Someone I know was just age checked for a bench vice. Wonder if it was Stanley too.

Reply to
Bob Eager