Subject Author Posted Replies

Primus 2000 / Calor gas 340 cylinders
Hi All, I have a blow torch (Primus Powerjet) which uses these refillable cylinders which have a female thread (measures around 14mm diameter). Thinking these are standard a bought a similar looking...

Wired up some lights
Neighbour had some LED striplights wired up by a friend. - Flex joined in 'choc block' terminal strip wrapped with gaffer tape and nailed or screwed to the ceiling. - Tinned ends of striplight wires...
26
26

Light tuning itself on in the middle of the night
She swears it was not on when she when to bed but was on when she woke up at 1am because it was on. It's in Derby do I cannot just call in but she is a reliable witness as to the events. And the light...
28
28

If Oil Companies Control Prices, Why Do They Ever Lose Money?
If Oil Companies Control Prices, Why Do They Ever Lose Money? by Robert Rapier, Apr 24, 2022, ExxonMobil executives are sitting around a smoke-filled boardroom, saying “Well, we have the public...
2
2

Sliding patio door locks
20 year old uPVC conservatory. One of the locks is giving up. Any advice? It "locks" and I think the 4 hooks are moving vertically, but it's not engaging -- tugging sideways hard on the handle moves...
6
6

Double Glazing FENSA problem
Our house is up for sale and we're gathering the necessary papers together for the solicitor/buyer. The windows/doors at the back were installed somewhere around 1993, which I believe is before FENSA...
9
9

How to remove a section of audio from a YouTube video
I would like to publish a video of dashcam footage but want to remove comments made by my passenger halfway through the video
10
10

the mains lead thread
Unfortunately that thread has an error in the header that eternal September won't process. What I tried to say was, look inside the item, and see what wire is in use, and you will see the futility of...
8
8

Mechanic's crawler (possibly also seat) - recommendations?
As I get older and more inflexible I find getting down to work under a vehicle a lot more difficult. Well, the getting up again is usually the hardest part. We have just bought a new (to us) Motor...
4
4

"Old" bicycle parts (Raleigh front hub).
Hello all, I am struggling to fix the front wheel on an "old" raleigh bike. 1970s, maybe early '80s vintage, a ladies shopper type with 32-597 tyres, that is 26 x 1 1/4 inch. The front hub seems to be...
20
20

OT: Electric cars actually burn fossil fuels
I can't believe this. In a forum, I cannot convince someone of this very simple logic: Any addition to the power load is going to add fossil fuel consumption, as we already use all the wind and solar...
178
178

Lawnflite 703 Autodrive mower PTO clutch slipping, ping Harry
I remember there was a discussion here a few years ago about the PTO on Harry B's mower, with regards the clutch that powers the blade belt slipping. Mine has started doing the same in the last couple...
3
3

XLPE HiFi mains lead. Bargain at £1000 for 1 metre
Is there any advantage of XLPE insulation over bog standard PVC ? is, this winter lots of living rooms might get down to 5 centigrade, at which point XLPE becomes brittle (?correct), so for some it...
11
11

Let's see if that makes everyone happy?
Following on from the plug fuse thread, how about: Choosing a plug fuse - DIYWiki
13
13

Planning a floor mounted wall unit
I decided that in order to make the drawers myself I would need more tools so I looked for ready built or flat pack. I couldn't find many sources but their dimension descriptions had me puzzled. As...