Lawnflite 703 Autodrive mower PTO clutch slipping, ping Harry

I remember there was a discussion here a few years ago about the PTO on Harry B's mower, with regards the clutch that powers the blade belt slipping.

Mine has started doing the same in the last couple of weeks...

Did your "fix" work long term? How does one get it apart to have a look?

Mine looks like the version with the single hanger stud on it:

Genuine replacements seem fairly pricey:

But this looks like it would probably do:

John Rumm

John Rumm laid this down on his screen :

Yep, still working absolutely fine. I can't quite remember how I got it apart, but that part was fairly obvious, once I had it removed from the bottom of the crank shaft. Watch out for a large diameter spring and some large shims.

I do remember I used some ancient gasket material, superglued onto the disk, as the friction surface.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Yep looks identicle to mine - the stud sticking up, was to prevent the clutch case rotating. The whole clutch falls apart once the long centre bolt is removed and the clutch taken off the shaft.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I decided to order the spare in the end since I did not have any gasket material to hand and did want want to lose extra weeks looking for materials.

Ordered the Noram branded one, they appear to be the actual OEM anyway, and not buying the one with "MTD" in the name saves a hundred quid!

For future reference in case anyone else needs to do it, here was the procedure I used:

John Rumm

Not sure but looks to be same clutch. Was slipping so, take out and pull apart. Its metal to metal surface. All I did was make up large washer but less than 1 mm thick, use as spacer, that closed the gap and made up for the wear. works fine !

Reply to
Mike