XLPE HiFi mains lead. Bargain at £1000 for 1 metre

Is there any advantage of XLPE insulation over bog standard PVC ?

Downside is, this winter lots of living rooms might get down to

5 centigrade, at which point XLPE becomes brittle (?correct), so for some it will be choice of heating or listening :-)
Reply to
Andrew

What a rip-off. You really can't pay those budget prices when there is....

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

SWA mains cable has XLPE insulation, can be installed at temperatures down to zero C and even has shielding. It would make a perfect replacement for the signaturex cable at a slightly lower price.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

They will sell you a replacement fuse for it as well - a snip at £65!

Reply to
John Rumm

You get what you pay for. The Russ Andrews cable at £2100 is twice as good! And, don't forget the spare 13A main plug fuse at £25 each.

alan_m

Tensile strength is the only one I can think of, hence the widespread use of XLPE in distribution power cables.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

The main attraction is it is not as thermoplastic as PVC, so you can run a max core temperature of 90 deg C rather than 70. So you get a higher current carrying capacity (at the expense of higher losses).

Reply to
John Rumm

Of course, it's worth every penny for that last 1m to the amp.

The problem is paying the whole street to be rewired, right back to the substation.

So now I only play vinyl during daytime, when I can run this on Pure Sun Energy from up on the roof.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah, but how smooth is the sine-wave from your inverter? I'm sure someone will sell something to smooth it out ... for the price of a new car! ;)

Reply to
SteveW

No, it would be much better to use the dc directly. Maybe 600V from a string of panels would nicely match a beefy valve amplifier. No need for switching converters or big power supply transformers. Maybe use a separate panel for the cathode heater supply - with linear regulation of course.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I think that about 480V is enough for my amp, but 600V and some regulation would maybe cater for passing clouds.

Reply to
SteveW

Of course. But I reverse the polarity between tracks, to avoid all the electrons ending up pushed to one side.

Reply to
Andy Dingley