OT: Electric cars actually burn fossil fuels

I can't believe this. In a forum, I cannot convince someone of this very simple logic:

Any addition to the power load is going to add fossil fuel consumption, as we already use all the wind and solar that can be generated. Imagine the electric cars we currently have went away, what would change in electricity generation? They'd have to generate less. They'd switch off some fossil fuel power stations, they certainly wouldn't turn off the cheaper to run solar and wind! Therefore the electric cars we currently have are burning fossil fuels!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

environmentalists were at the back of the queue for brains as far as I can see. Which will be a self limiting problem in the long term.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

They are simply useful idiots being used by people determined to wreck our economy.

Reply to
Brian

If they want to make everything green, the first thing they should have done is invest in huge amounts of renewables, THEN add more load to the grid with cars once they have that in place.

Anyway at current prices, there's no way I'm coughing up my money to go electric, those cars cost a fortune.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's already wrecked, at this rate we'll be using exercise bicycles to generate electricity.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

As a matter of conjecture, that is only true for EV's charged in the daytime.

EV's charged overnight are less likely to cause fossil fuels to be burned due to the lower demand at that time of day and more likely to be supplied within the nuclear base load generation, for now at least.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

The nuclear generation is always active. I looked at the UK national grid meters in the middle of the night, and saw a fair amount of gas being used. Take away the EVs, that gas would be switched off. The demand is surprisingly even, comparing winter/summer and day/night and weekday/weekend.

Commander Kinsey

That is why their other name is "Coal Powered Rolling Fire Bombs"

I know logic is not your strong suit, but the deal is, not everything in life is "synchronized for your delight".

Technical developments occur independently of one another.

Some areas of our society are backward, and can't keep up (power gen). We have to improve there.

BEVs mean nothing to me, because I cannot afford one.

But that does not mean I don't think they are essential to the future.

*******

A disturbing trend here, is our ICE fleet is "going backwards". The government stopped enforcing pollution controls. Nobody checks the emissions of cars.

When I drive a bicycle on the street now, I can *smell the petrol*. That's not supposed to happen. The invention of the three-way catalytic converter and stoichiometric combustion was supposed to stop that. All that is supposed to come out of a warmed-up car, is CO2 and H2O. The CO, the NOx, the VOC, is supposed to drop to close to zero.

With no one to enforce these rules any more here (tards in the wheelhouse, so to speak), people just do whatever the f*ck they feel like. Cut off the cat, put in a straight pipe. No one to enforce noise ordinances. Back when there were yearly inspections, a tech could put the car on a hoist and spot a missing cat.

And then we look at the pathetic lines painted on the road.

If we can smell petrol at street level, that means we're violating our VOC rules. Then, on the other hand, local government sez "we can't use good paint on the street lines because of these VOC rules". Well, if the street is to smell of petrol all the time, why the f*ck can't we have oil based paints again ? Come on, let your hair down and paint us some lines.

*******

The invention of the BEV, means you *cannot cheat*. You cannot cut the catalytic converter off and insert a straight pipe. You cannot insert an electronic box to fool the pollution control system. Because the vehicle at street level, does not have petrol on board.

That is worth something.

Smog in Mumbai

Smog in Beijing
Smog in Los Angeles (1975)
*Y2Ev0QaEDbZeRIFPi7Qy3A.jpeg Smog in London
Were you ever a jogger or runner ? [I was]

Have you ever experiences the after affects of running in smog ?

Wouldn't it be nice to breathe relatively clean air ?

Now, fix the power system. It's either going to happen by evolution or revolution, but... it'll happen.

This is our pipe-cleaner project (test out SMR and see what project cost and delivery are like). I doubt this is a realistic plan, but at least it isn't a coal plant. Part of the fun will be seeing what the cost overruns are like. Our last hydro project here, was 70% over budget (making a visible bulge in the area residents monthly power bill to pay it off).

"Four provincial governments..." "SMRs generate between 200 and 300 megawatts"

Total output is peanuts. But you have to start somewhere.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The huge mistake is letting politicians make technical decisions.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The huge mistake is in letting politicians make decisions. *We* should make the decisions, the politicians should implement them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The future yes, but it's pointless making them a decade before we're using renewable energy.

That used to mean in car entertainment in a classified ad.

Since you said petrol in the next line, I'm going to assume you're British. Er.... we have MOTs.

No, it just reduces them. Whatever gave you the idea catalytic convertors were perfect? In fact when they engine is cold they're meant to make it worse.

I was stopped recently for a tiny hole in my exhaust.

Clearly you're not British, there is an annual MOT in the UK.

This MAY change to two years, but why shouldn't it?

Too many lines, especially those stupid cycle lanes. And round here to "prevent" people from going round a medium sized roundabout two at a time.

Petrol isn't harmful to inhale.

I run in the countryside because I'm not a moron. I wouldn't run along hard pavements even if there were no cars.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed, in this century it would be easy for us to vote on every single matter.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In the UK they do.

That's the benefit of living in America.

Reply to
Richard

Who is "we"? There are a lot of idiots making dumb decisions. Just look at the idiots "we"vote into congress. Technical issues are not something to go to popular vote, lets get experts with some real knowledge.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That of course is what leads to massive corruption. Far fewer people to buy to get what you want.

In the end it all boils down to whom you trust. Politician, expert or common sense.

Common sense tells you its not getting warmer, and renewable energy simply trebles your electricity bill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Common sense show it is getting warmer and renewable energy can reduce your electric bill. Just look at the ice being lost every year at the poles.

I buy a fix amount of my electric as solar generated. In the winter with less sun I lose about $3 a month. In sunny months like now, I gain $10 a month.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's a tremendous benefit, not to have to waste money on your car every year when it's still running just fine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I agree we should be using nuclear, but that doesn't make what I said bullshit. Until there is clean power available, making electric cars is just burning more fossil fuels.

Posted again since trader4 doesn't know how to operate a newsreader and deleted uk.d-i-y. Moron.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Biassed bribed experts? No thanks. I'd rather have the idiot next door voting than some clown in parliament.

Anyway, we're all free to consult experts.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey