OT: Electric cars actually burn fossil fuels

Firstly, that link is too long winded for me to bother reading. What's it's conclusion?

Secondly, you missed the point made by Randy, that "self-appointed safety-weenies" are taking things too far.

Thirdly, being more sensible and ignoring any lies, damn lies and statistics, we see fires by any type of vehicle. If you store lots of energy, that energy can be released all at once by mistake, just in slightly different ways, however the battery ones are totally absurd:

Petrol fires:

(crash of tanker)
(arson? idiot?)

Battery fires:

(So much easier to find examples, that guy couldn't even open the ELECTRICALLY CONTROLLED DOOR to get out. WTF Tesla?)
(It wasn't even being used!!)
(bus, way bigger than the tanker fire)
(and of course the main problem, nobody is there when they happen since they take f****ng hours to charge and nobody can stop it because they aren't present)

Strangely, propane wasn't very dangerous at all:

Commander Kinsey

If we are all going to donate, then what's the problem with centralising that and collecting it through taxes?

Reply to
SteveW

Because we don't all want to donate. The word donate implies choice.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Currently she's third up if we could manage to get rid of the other two idiots. There's no hope.

Reply to
rbowman

The difference is that the govt doing it isnt voluntary donation wise.

Reply to
zall

Exactly, so some would not donate and there would not be enough to help those that need it.

Reply to
SteveW

Which shows we don't want to help them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nothing at all. On the other hand, if you envisage a monopoly which can enforce compulsory donation using guns and prisons, that's something totally different from charity, it's called either 'robbery' or 'extortion' depending on the means used.

Reply to
Joe

And that is the circumstance under which the Britain people became prosperous and numerous enough to contemplate inventing the welfare state.

Do you think prosperity has increased since that happened, discounting technological advances, which are mostly nothing to do with governments?

Reply to
Joe

How can prosperity increase when people are lumbered with keeping people going who don't contribute. It may be an ethically good idea, but it's no good to forward the country.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Which is what our governments are. And you keep on voting for them. Stoppit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They always had a welfare state even before the industrial revolution.

It was done by the church instead of by govt.

Yes, real living standards are vastly better than they were even just after WW2 had ended.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Good point. Electric cars are very dangerous. No one has ever died in a gas-powered car fire. No one. Can't happen.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

That's why I still drive my Ford Pinto. I feel safe in it, well protected against a battery fire.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I feel about the same in my Corvair.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Happen all the time. Being able to exit the car is the issue. My wife and I were able to exit my old Pontiac when it caught fire.

Climate change affects nobody you silly believer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Google "Ford Pinto fire". At least 27 deaths.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Mine is costing me 2 pence per mile in electricity. How much are you paying in petrol?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+