CO2 and the answer to fossil fuels and power stations

Shove the waste back to where the power came from.

ARW

If you can make it economic, as someone posted the other day, Norway is giving up, if the carbon trading scheme remains in tatters, where's the incentive, all the opt-outs from the Large Combustion Plant will be scrapped before CCS is ready.

Or cut-out the middle man, "burn" it undersea, get the gas from it and leave the waste there.

Andy Burns

Putting it 1.2m below ground level doesn't sound much for something working at 150 bar. I can foresee somebody hitting it with a digger and possibly getting a very nasty surprise.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What is the point of trying to, at great cost, sequester 0.0022% of the CO2 that is in the air already? Have people stopped being able to do arithmetic?

Reply to
Matty F

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Oxygen combusts with the coal-producing synthesis gas - a combination of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, methane and hydrogen."

Seems to me a lot of the waste - certainly a good bit of the carbon - comes straight out. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some SO2 in there too. The remainder of the gas can leak out slowly when the floor of the bay subsides after all the coal has been burnt out.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The reason is that a very tiny change in CO2 concentration makes massive climatological changes. Doesn't take much to trigger an extinction event.

Reply to
harryagain

The reson cannot be that, harry, because it doesn't.

Pure fantasy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The CO2 level has changed by 14% in the last 30 years. Why should anybody worry about 0.0022% per year? There's that arithmetic problem again.

Reply to
Matty F

Volcanic activity hasn't increased by 14% in the last 30 years, so you've answered your own question in the other thread. It has to be human activity.

Reply to
Bob Martin

but that is obviously untrue. we have observed much bigger changes than that with virtually no changes at all.

Reply to
dennis

You've excluded all other causes, have you?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Volcanoes normally only produce about 1% of the CO2 that human activity does - about half as much as the whole of Britain. The main sources, dwarfing both human activity and volcanoes, are the oceans, land and vegetation and they tend to put out more CO2 as they warm. Hence the positive feedback scenario of those who believe the CO2 hypothesis, despite all the geological evidence that no such feedback has ever happened, even when CO2 levels were a lot higher.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'll admit that 1.2m seems very shallow but it's not that different to gas and oil pipelines criss crossing the country now, where the routes are very clearly marked for those that need to know. (and for those that shouldn't need to know)

Reply to
The Other Mike

Better route the pipeline your way then.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I accept that, but ASFAIK they don't work at 150 bar and it is not unknown for digger operators to ignore very obvious warning tapes and to dig through services.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Up to 85 bar on the natural gas transmission network

It is left to the imagination as to the effects of demented JCB driver on an 85 bar gas pipeline vs 150 bar CO2 :)

Reply to
The Other Mike