Altering a roof truss

I am having trouble getting a loft ladder because the spacing between the r oof trusses is non -standard. The gap between the two trusses I want to pla ce the ladder is 53cm and the nearest fit I can find is 55cm. Would it be O K to attach a 4"x2" to the outside of the horizontal member and cut away th e part where I need to widen the gap leaving the 4 x 2 to bridge the gap an d link the two separated parts of the horizontal member or would this imbal ance the truss?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Should be OK. I'd suggest making the overlap at each end equal to the length that you remove. Bolts through or screw. avoid nailing and risk disturbing the tiling.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When i was thinking about fitting a wider hatch my structural engineer friend said I would need a steel frame to pas the load around the hatch.

In the end I fitted a cheap loft ladder from amazon which only needs 45 cm clearance and I had 50 cm.

Stupid builders if you ask me, the trusses are all 60 cm spacing except the one where the hatch is most convenient. If they had started at the hatch end the 50 cm one would be at the other end.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for the replies Bob & Dennis. I should have been a little clearer about the type of ladder I am after. I am looking for the sort that comes with a hatch preferably insulated.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Well if you buy a premade hatch from toolsatan or amazon it will fit over a 500mm hole with a bit of timber framing and you won't even know its not the full width of the hatch until you open it.

The ladder I linked to comes with hinges and a catch to allow you to make a hatch out of some ply or timber.

Reply to
dennis

With timber connectors.

Reply to
harryagain

roof trusses is non -standard. The gap between the two trusses I want to p lace the ladder is 53cm and the nearest fit I can find is 55cm. Would it be OK to attach a 4"x2" to the outside of the horizontal member and cut away the part where I need to widen the gap leaving the 4 x 2 to bridge the gap and link the two separated parts of the horizontal member or would this imb alance the truss?

Isnt it easier to just make a ladder to fit? Insulating a loft hatch is very cheap

NT

Reply to
meow2222