Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus price/performance hardware comparison

did you even look at the photo? <https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0769/4313/products/apple_ii_8e43f9b0- 53a0-406d-ab6d-fab25e3a451f_1024x1024.JPG>
~ is shift `, in the lower left corner, 2nd key in ^ is shift 6, top row

the original apple ii didn't have lower case, nor did a lot of computers in 1977.
that was added shortly after and hasn't been an issue for more than 35 years.
that's a long time to hold a grudge.

clearly.

too bad. it was far, far more lucrative, and yes, the 68k architecture was great.
On 12/28/2017 06:20 AM, nospam wrote:

Did you even look at the photo? The part that says Apple IIe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe#New_features
"One of the most notable improvements of the Apple IIe is the addition of a full ASCII character set and keyboard. The most important addition is the ability to input and display lower-case letters."
Did I say anything about the IIe that came out 6 years after the II?
Programming for Apple was definitely not more lucrative for me. The only company that I ever worked for that had Apple products used the first generation Mac since it met the TEMPEST requirements. Even there I did not personally use one.
I will agree on the 68K architecture and in fact I had a 68K development board. However at the time I was doing embedded work and Motorala was a no-sale. Their microcontrollers were fine but Motorala had a bad reputation. you would design one of their parts in and when it came time to go into production Motorala didn't have the parts. Their number one priority was automotive. That rep also hurt the 68K.

you said the days of the apple ii, which includes the iie.
the apple ii series was discontinued in 1993, *long* after the iie came out.
you're also ignoring that many other computers from that era didn't have lower case. it wasn't just apple.
the original apple ii & apple ii plus keyboard was almost identical to the then common asr-33 teletype, also uppercase only. it even had a rept key.
<
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/APPLEPLUS-16.jpg
<
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZXnaIDU8AAtFLV.jpg
> Programming for Apple was definitely not more lucrative for me. The only

there weren't a lot of people who knew how to write mac apps and even fewer who could do it well, yet there was a *huge* demand, so those who did got paid *very* well.

BINGO.
On 12/28/2017 08:40 AM, nospam wrote:

Whatever you say...

your statement is false on its face, which puts you in the hater category.
people buy apple products because they best fits their needs, just like anything else, and if their needs change, they will probably buy something else. the price is competitive with similar products and more than half of iphone owners are windows users.
On 12/25/2017 09:27 AM, nospam wrote:

Okay, I'm a hater starting with you. May the horse you rode in on step on your new iPhone X.
He who is rbowman said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 11:54:58 -0700:

While I have never bought a phablet before, it does seem that these LG Stylo 3 Plus phones I bought as last-minute stocking stuffers are one fifth the price of the equivalent iPhone 7 Plus based on the hardware specs.
Since I had only expected an equivalent iPhone to cost about double the price of an equivalent Android phone, I was amazed that these seemingly comparable devices are so vastly different in price.
For the price of one iPhone 7 Plus, I can give five equivalent Android phones, based on the hardware specs I listed in the OP.
Since that Android-to-iOS price-to-performance comparison seems too good to be true, I wanted to ask if I somehow got the hardware specs wrong, or maybe the price wrong on the iPhone (I already paid the $130 so I know that the price on the Android phablet is accurate).
Did I get the 5X price comparison correct? Is my hardware comparison correct?
If so, with respect only to hardware, would you consider the two phones to be essentially equivalent?
On Sunday, December 24, 2017 at 3:03:54 PM UTC-5, harry newton wrote:

They clearly have a significant difference, the Apple has a 50% higher clock rate. That likely means it;s on a newer smaller pitch process that would also bring lower power. It's like looking at two PCs, that both have the same memory and hard drive size but one has a CPU that's 50% faster and saying they are seemingly the same, why should one cost a lot more than the other? How much that matters in the real world on these phones who knows, because it's complex. One has more CPUs, so potentially they could make up for some of it, but to what extent, who knows.

Bought a iPhone 5s last year. $160. Endless updating. I don't like the WiFi search. Sometimes it skips stations. When my IPhone switches to 3G it really slows down, where my old Motorola worked fine on 3G, 3G only phone. iPhone takes good pictures. Speed seems irrelevant for my needs. I can print from IPhone, not my androids. I wan to install FTP and see what files I can see and transfer. I'm currently using old IPad, but usually use Samsung Note tablet.
Greg
On 12/24/2017 1:01 PM, harry newton wrote:

When buying smartphones, make sure they have the WPA2 KRACK patch available.
I got a couple 18-month-old Verizon branded HTC phones that the manufacturer no longer issues security patch updates so no more HTC phones for me.
AFAIK, Apple has patched the WPA2 KRACK vulnerability in their phones.
He who is Bob said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 13:23:56 -0500:

Thanks for that advice to ensure that the KRACK attack is patched. I do keep abreast of security vulnerabilities in both Android & in iOS.
In fact, I'm the guy that broke the news of that KRACK attack on both the iOS and Android newsgroups - so I'm well aware of the vulnerability. <https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/pI1pmUNYGbM>
If it were an iOS phone, I'd have to ensure it doesn't have the secret permanent and drastic CPU slowdown "feature" also - which is another vulnerability I was the first to post on the iOS newsgroups. <https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/GdEtzzrc9F0>
So I'm up to speed on the software vulnerabilities - but the topic of this thread is whether I got the hardware comparisons correct.
Is my hardware comparison correct?
If so, with respect only to hardware, would you consider the two phones to be essentially equivalent? Why or why not?
In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 18:01:01 +0000 (UTC), harry

The Stylo sure seems like a better buy for much less money.

Since this is the way most people express it, I would have let it go, except you compound it below. It may well be easier to convince you of the one below than this one, but here goes.
The iPhone is 5 times as much, but it is only 4 times more.
Or "it is more. 5 times as much."

The difference is 4x. If you subtract the lower from the higher to get the difference, and then divide by the lower, the answer is rougly 4.

He who is micky said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 14:03:03 -0500:

Thanks for being the first person to hazard a guess, as I know it's risky to state an opinion based on facts on the Usenet.
The main question is which is a better phone - from the hardware standpoint only.
That's really the question - where the advantage of the iOS device is in a faster CPU speed for half the cores (the same CPU speed for the other half of it's cores) and the iPhone 7 has an extra GB of RAM.
Both of those are nice.
But on many other hardware factors (e.g., the Stylo 3 Plus has twice as many CPU cores and expansion memory of up to 2 Terabytes) the Stylo 3 Plus is clearly better than the iPhone 7 Plus.
It's the end analysis which I ask you about since each one of us weighs the varying factors differently (e.g., I don't care about a camera but a kid might care a lot - and where these two cameras seem 'about the same' but they're not exactly the same).

I ended up asking my wife to buy a couple more of the phablets today.
I'm ok with the equivalent iPhone being only 4 times as expensive as the equivalent Android phone. The main calculation is that, for the same amount of money, I can get 5 Android phones for the price of one equivalent iOS phone.
That's what matters since these are gifts so I have to stuff more than one stocking (one set of the recipients for example, are twins).

That's fine. I understand.
The way I think about the math is that I can buy 5 Android phones for the price of an essentially equivalent iOS phone.
In this case, I bought 4, so I had money to spare for something else (like 2 terabyte sd cards for each of the four phones!).
The important technical aspect of this question though isn't the price.
The question here is only of fact and how you interpret the hardware comparison in the original post since we all weight the factors differently and you never have to exactly equivalent android/ios phones in all hardware respects.
He who is harry newton said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 18:01:01 +0000 (UTC):

What's interesting is this :singshot Extreme" benchmark I just found, which validates what I thought would happen, which is that the iPhone 7 Plus is faster than the LG Stylo 3 Plus.
iPhone 7 Plus: https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/Apple+iPhone+7+Plus/review
LG Stylo 3 Plus: https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/LG+Stylo+3+Plus/review
If someone has more insight into the relevance of this "Sling Shot Extreme" benchmark, that would be helpful.
Here are the raw numbers.
Physics test part 1 LG" FPS iPhone& FPS Physics test part 2 LG FPS iPhone FPS Physics test part 3 LG=7 FPS iPhone=6 FPS Physics score LG79 iPhone45 - Graphics test 1 LG=2 FPS iPhone$ FPS Graphics test 2 LG=1 FPS iPhone FPS Graphics score LG$4 iPhone342 - Average score = LG)7 iPhone#07
On 12/24/2017 12:01 PM, harry newton wrote: (Snip, snip, snip)
I come from a time when the phone had a cord and a bell and a rotary dial. No answering machine or voice mail either. I upgraded to a flip phone a few years ago and that's working plenty good enough, and it's easy to carry. A neighbor gave me an old smart phone and I've got "Torque" and "Freenav" for a couple of apps. I haven't activated service on it and now I'm wondering now if I will. Time and technology march on, sometimes without me. Disclaimer, I'll be 70 next year and getting kinda old and wear Velcro shoes.

Me too. I don't even own a cell phone. None at all.

My problem with smart phones is how delicate they are. Bump one the wrong way and you break the screen. My Convoy flip phone will bounce down the highway and still work.
On 12/27/2017 05:38 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

My current flip-phone has 3 buttons (volume and camera) on the outside. When the flip is closed, none of these buttons do anything other that activate the display. No pocket dialing. No pocket talking. No cheek dialing either.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 12/27/2017 10:41 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

A camera? That must be a high end model. My LG originates and receives voice and text calls, end of story. I think it may have a calculator, maybe not. The drawback is when you're broken down in the middle of nowhere with no signal there are no games to amuse yourself with until someone comes along in a day or two.