Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus price/performance hardware comparison

He who is nospam said on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 18:09:32 -0500:

Heh heh heh ...

Reply to
harry newton

Consider yourself lucky. You haven't lived until you've spent 5 minutes waiting for a coal train to go by before you can get where you're going.

Reply to
rbowman

Sure they do. That's why they built in the limp home CPU setting for when your irreplaceable battery is shot. Irreplaceable is probably the wrong word for 'we made damn sure the user can't replace the battery.'

Reply to
rbowman

Let's not get into non-traditional gender dating here.

Reply to
rbowman

Proper response: "whaddya want to know for?"

Reply to
rbowman

more ignorance. it doesn't 'limp home'.

performance *peaks* are limited, not the overall speed, something which most people won't notice in normal use and is much better than the sudden shutdowns that had been occurring.

it is also something that affects android phones and other devices because it's due to battery chemistry.

except that apple didn't do that at all, so irreplaceable is definitely the wrong word.

all it takes is a screwdriver for those who want to do it themselves, or many repair shops will be happy to replace it for those who don't.

numerous android phones as well as many other products have internal batteries because it makes for a smaller and more reliable device.

some of those *other* products actually *do* have irreplaceable batteries, such as -

the android essential phone, from andy rubin, the creator of android itself: The Essential PH-1 (aka Essential Phone) is designed to withstand dents and scratches, but what happens if something breaks on the inside? You can forget about fixing it yourself, apparently. The DIY repair crew at iFixit has torn down Essential's handset, and it's obvious that you're not meant to poke around inside. For one thing, iFixit had to freeze the phone (and break the LCD) just to get inside -- and even then, it still had to get past a mid-frame shield. The USB-C port is soldered on to motherboard, and the abundance of adhesives makes it likely that you'll break something if you somehow didn't wreck the screen going in.

microsoft surface laptop: There¹s no screws holding the case together, so the technicians were forced to try and pry apart the Alcantara fabric, noting that it was difficult to do without tearing it. Underneath, the individual components are also difficult to remove: the keyboard is glued down, and the motherboard is covered with a series of thermal pads. The team also reports that they can¹t disconnect the battery until several other components are removed, and once they get to it, they found that it¹s glued directly to the case. ... Their verdict? ³It¹s a glue-filled monstrosity. There is nothing about it that is upgradable or long-lasting, and it literally can¹t be opened without destroying it.²

google partnered with ubreakifix for battery replacements for the pixel, which costs the same as what apple charges, $79:

Reply to
nospam

My grammar and punctuation are usually excellent but I must have been out the day the good nuns taught "whom". It is just one of this things that does not stick with me and, it seems, many do not know when "who" is incorrectly used. But it can be understood by tough thorough thought, though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He who is Ed Pawlowski said on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 20:08:34 -0500:

It's ok. We all have typos, speakos, thinkos, etc.

The easiest way to remember when to use "whom" is to substitute "him" in the sentence. Him goes with whom.

For example: a. For x the bell tolls - the bell tolls for (he/him). Since it's "him", it becomes: For whom the bell tolls.

c. X is on the phone? - He/him is on the phone. Since it's "he", it becomes: Who is on the phone?

a. X is the phone for? - The phone is for (he/him). Since it's "him", it becomes: Whom is the phone for?

It's easy because all personal pronouns follow the same rules. So you just substitute a personal pronoun whose rule you already know.

When you use him or her, then it gets whom. When you use he or she, then it gets who.

Simple. It's like how you know how tight to tighten a bolt without a torque wrench. You just get a feel for it over time. Or how you remember which way to turn a bolt when you're upside down under the engine. You get a feel for it over time. It just takes practice.

Reply to
harry newton

He who is nospam said on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 19:44:18 -0500:

Um, nospam. It's funny you Apple Apologists even deny what Apple already *admitted*.

Have you again *ignored* the permanent and drastic CPU slowdown readings that users are reporting from the reddit post using the CPU Dasher X app?

The secret CPU slowdowns are permanent (per configuration), and drastic!

Um. No again. If you were in high school, your score of flipping a coin would earn you an "F" overall on your accuracy of answers.

Zero Android manufacturer has been reported to be secretly, permanently, and drastically slowing down CPU performance merely on the basis of upgrading to the latest operating system.

It's funny you Apple Apologists even deny what Apple already *admitted*.

Reply to
harry newton

He who is rbowman said on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 17:01:23 -0700:

What I meant was that Linux is in the real world and yet Apple doesn't "support" Linux, nor do they even *test* their devices in the real world.

That's why connectivity broke with Linux when iOS users upgraded iOS from something as minor as iOS 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 (ask me how I know).

Apple only tests inside the walled garden, where almost all the critical vulnerabilities were because they released insecure software. What's funny is that *many* of the iOS releases are highly insecure, and Apple knows that it's insecure at the time they release it (e.g., iOS 10.x with the broadcom bugs where Apple had the fix in hand and *still* released an highly insecure release).

When you wonder why, you find out that Apple users are very happy just to have release after release after release after release after release. It makes them *feel* safe even though some of them Apple has to destroy, they're that insecure!

Reply to
harry newton

no, that's not why.

connectivity broke because the driver was *not* written by apple, but instead written by a third party, who didn't do a very good job and was unable to test with an unreleased product, as is common with linux.

Reply to
nospam

Yeah, sudden shutdowns in an expensive phone aren't good.Unfortunately people did notice the slowdown in normal use or this wouldn't even be being discussed. Nor would there be a class action suit in the making:

This site does a tear down when a new Apple phone comes out. They don't guarantee you can put it back together. This iteration has both pentalobe and tripoint screws, just what everybody has laying around. Fortunately there is a cottage industry that has grown up around supplying drivers for the weird fasteners Apple keeps inventing. And don't expect to replace the rear glass.

Of course the Galaxy isn't any better:

It takes a serious set of balls to chisel your way into a smartphone to replace the battery. I'll stick with my flip phone, thank you.

Reply to
rbowman

I didn't know about Official Grammar Stuff until I took a foreign language in high school; until then I made it up (correctly, as it turned out) as I went along :-)

Reply to
The Real Bev

Correct on all of the above.

Reply to
trader_4

Until you provide evidence that thsi is "permanent", please stop using that word. You've been asked to provide evidence and you haven't.

If you want to have intelligent conversation, please stop using exagerations and be factual.

Reply to
JF Mezei

The problem surfaced early last year. (for me at least). Apple admitted to it and started battery replacement late last year and shortly issued patches to IOS to deal with it.

So those slowdowns have been happening for over a year, yet, it has on;y NOW surfaced because someone did a test. So it seems to me like people didn't quite notice.

I didn't notice a slowdown. I just noticed the phone starting to shutdown when I turns on camera after being outside in cold for a while.

Reply to
JF Mezei

exactly.

Reply to
nospam

You're right, it may not be permanent. After a huge black eye and a class a ction suit, Apple will probably cave and undo it. I lost all respect for Ap ple after that skunk Cook sided with terrorists and refused to help the FBI unlock the San Bernardino terrorists phone. It's a mystery to me why any d ecent American would buy anything from apple after that.

Reply to
trader_4

He who is JF Mezei said on Tue, 26 Dec 2017 00:53:00 -0500:

You Apple Apologists sure are funny in how you fabricate non permanence when *every* article on the subject tells you the *only* solution is to replace the battery.

None of them say ... "oh just wait a while and it will go away on its own".

You iOS apologists are like the people who leave their dog poop on the sidewalk in that you can't *comprehend* what is in *every* article on the subject. There's no battery fairy that "fixes" batteries while you're sleeping.

Every article says the same thing. It's you Apple Apologists who can't comprehend simple basic facts.

It's like an article says a person is dead, and you Apple Apologists are asking whether it says they're "permanently dead".

You Apple Apologistgs can't seem to comprehend the *simplest* of facts.

Let me give you a simple fact, although I realize you're an Apple Apologistgs so you can't seem to comprehend it.

When a news article says a person is dead, they don't say "permanently dead" because even Apple Apologists are supposed to understand that dead means permanently dead.

When a news article says a house burned down and that the only solution is to build a new one, they don't say it's "permanently burned down" - you're simply expected to understand that you "can" replace a burned down home.

When a news article says the *only* solution is to replace the battery, they don't need to explain to you, like they would to a five year old child, that there is no battery fairy that magically fixes batteries while you sleep.

What is so very wrong with you Apple Apologists that you can't comprehend the *simples* of *obvious* facts?

Here is a fact for you Apple Apologists. There is no battery fairy.

Reply to
harry newton

BTW, the LG Stylo 3 has the same chipset that my ZTE Blade Z Max has. It sure has enough performance for me, IDK what I'd do with more, but then I don't play games or watch TV on it either. Maybe in those areas a high end phone gets you something. This is like the issue of whether you need a PC that has the latest, highers performance CPU that costs $500 more or a mid-range one.

Reply to
trader_4