Is there a single useful Apple iOS camera capability that isn't already on Android?

Is there a single useful Apple iOS camera capability that isn't already on Android?
The question was posed today on the iOS newsgroup, where nobody on that newsgroup knows cameras well enough to find a *single* useful Apple iOS phone camera functionality that isn't already on Android. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/qcRetD6w1o4/6tBWXoxuBgAJ
Even Savageduck, an avowed digital expert, hasn't named a single one.
It's a valid question, especially since most iOS users seem to blindly assume there must be something, anything, that the Apple iOS phone cameras can do that Android phone cameras don't already do.
Nospam named two but both are already on Android: 1. portrait mode <-- already on Android 2. optical zoom <-- already on Android
It's a fair digital photo question, especially since many people blindly assume that what the Apple Marketing Machine tells them is truth.
Is there a single useful Apple iOS camera capability that isn't already on Android?
--
QUOTED REFERENCES
Hands-on with the new Portrait Mode beta on iPhone 7 Plus

Even

...and if you think I am going to be baited into playing your game just because you have added rec.photo.digital to the NG distribution you are mistaken. I have told you that I am done with you.
So good bye.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
In <
"In terms of camera function on iOS or Android devices of similar spec there little to no difference, particularly with current phones."
Follow up to: rec.photo.digital

I don't think that folk get themselves an iPhone for the sake of photography. DxOmark reviews do not indicate that iPhones would be more then on par at best:
<https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles Scores on the right.
If you want to improve on your iPhones pictures then I would ponder the DxO One addon that makes your iPhone an one inch camera:
<http://www.dxo.com/us/dxo-one?utm_source=dxomark&utm_medium=display&utm_ content=footer&utm_campaign=rawlala>
I have a Xperia M4 and spend my money on real gear.
--
teleportation kills

In < Bill W suggested:

To that end, here is a scientific assessment of the "image & video quality" pf Apple iOS and Android devices based on a reference kindly supplied today by user "android" in this thread:
https://www.dxomark.com "DxO has extensively analyzed the image and video quality of over 9,000 cameras, lenses and mobile phones. These analyses are used by top camera manufacturers, media and help power DxO software. DxOMark provides free public access to these results to help guide your camera and lens decisions."
89 - Google Pixel 88 - HTC 10 - Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Sony Xperia X Performance 87 - Huawei P10 - Moto Z Force Droid - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus - Sony Xperia XZ - Sony Xperia Z5 86 - Apple iPhone 7 - LG G5 - Samsung Galaxy Note V - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 85 - Huawei Mate 9 - LG V20 84 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus - Apple iPhone 6s - Google Nexus 6P - Moto Z Droid - Moto G Plus - Moto Droid Turbo 2 83 - LG G4 - Moto X Style - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 82 - Apple iPhone 6s - Apple iPhone 6 Plus - Apple iPhone 6 - BlackBerry Priv - Sony Xperia Z3+ - TCL 950 81 - Nextbit Robin 80 - Huawei P9 79 - Samsung Galaxy S5 - Sony Xperia M5 - Sony Xperia Z3 - Sony Xperia Z2 - Xiaomi Mi 5 78 - Google Nexus 6 - HTC One A9 - Xiaomi Mi 5SPlus 77 - Nokia 808 Pureview - Nubia Z11 76 - Apple iPhone 5S - OnePlus 2 - Sony Xperia Z1 75 - Samsung Galaxy S4 74 - Huawei P8 - Meizu Pro 6 - Nokia Lumia 1020 73 - LG G2 - Nokia Lumia 925 - Qiku Q Terra 72 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPhone 4S - Samsung Note II - Samsung Galaxy S3 70 - GoPro HERO3 69 - Amazon Firephone - HTC ONE M9 68 - HTC ONE M8 67 - BlackBerry Z10 66 - HTC 8X - Nokia Lumia 920 61 - Sony Xperia Z 59 - Apple New iPad 57 - Samsung Galaxy S2 50 - Apple iPhone 4
REFERENCE: https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles
On 4/30/2017 1:46 AM, Tomos Davies wrote:

Highest Android score: 89. Highest iPhone score: 86. A virtual tie. Do you honestly think you could see any real difference in an actual photo using the two phones?

You can easily see a difference between the result of a phone and a good camera used by someone who knows how to use the latter, however!
--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad

On 5/1/2017 2:13 PM, Erilar wrote:

Yes, but I'm addressing the differences between the highest scoring Android phone and the highest scoring iPhone.
In < PAS suggested:

Even though there were a dozen Android phones that have better or equal camera/video quality of results than the best iPhone out there, do you find it interesting that there are 9 Android phones that have better QOR than the best that Apple offers?
89 - Google Pixel 88 - HTC 10 - Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - Sony Xperia X Performance 87 - Huawei P10 - Moto Z Force Droid - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus - Sony Xperia XZ - Sony Xperia Z5 86 - Apple iPhone 7 - LG G5 - Samsung Galaxy Note V - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 85 - Huawei Mate 9 - LG V20 84 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus - Google Nexus 6P - Moto Z Droid - Moto G Plus - Moto Droid Turbo 2 83 - LG G4 - Moto X Style - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 82 - Apple iPhone 6s - Apple iPhone 6 Plus - Apple iPhone 6 - BlackBerry Priv - Sony Xperia Z3+ - TCL 950
On 5/1/2017 6:27 PM, Tomos Davies wrote:

That's because there are more Android phone makers than iPhone makers. It's simple math. How much better the Android phones photo quality is over the iPhone's is imperceptible to the eye. Just get over it. People like their iPhones like you like your Android. For that matter, if it wasn't for the first iPhone, we Android users wouldn't have the nice Android phones that we do. Apple got the ball rolling.

In < PAS suggested:

That's a good answer because even I was surprised that there are a dozen Android phones (literally) that are better or the same as iOS with respect to camera output (and 9 that are better than the best iOS has to offer).
It seems that most iOS users feel their camera output is better than that of Android, so, they must be comparing to the phones that just happen to be worse, since that list was pretty conclusive.

I think you're missing the key observation here, which is psychological, and which has nothing to do with me (my circa 2012 Android phone rated along with the iPhone 5), since I happen to own SLRs where no mobile phone can compete.
The key observation is that Android clearly has better camera QOR, where the *subject* of this thread is a comparison of Android to iOS in the camera features.
Point is, and always was, there is nothing to warrant the high opinion iOS owners have of their equipment other than that they simply parrot that which the Apple Marketing Machine tells them to parrot.
Same on safety. Same on ease of use. Same on functionality.
It is to the credit of the Apple Marketing Machine that the iOS user doesn't have a clue how badly his equipment fares when stacked up against Android.
The iOS owners are not only clueless, but they're wrong on all counts.
It's like when Japan thought it was superior to the USA at the start of WWII, where all they really had was the Marketing Machine (aka the Bamboo Spear Warrior Spirit) - but in the end - they had nothing.

I've bought iPhones and I have iPads so you get me wrong. I just happen to know the equipment is inferior in form, function, capability and results - but that doesn't mean I don't like them.
It's like not liking your own kid if he didn't get into Harvard for graduate school. You still like him - but you recognize him for what he is.
Same with iOS devices. They're ok. But Android devices always are better in anything you choose to compare against except sales figures (which is what matters, to Apple anyway), in the end.

Let's not get started on all the things that Apple copied also, but yes, Android had a target to beat, which has been beaten to death long ago.
Apple can't compete - but they win in one respect which is the loyalty and gullibility of its overall user base.

I know, but phones are pretty expensive poor cameras, so I had to defend real photography! 8-)
--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad

In < Erilar suggested:

You can find SLR camera scores in plenty of camera aficionado web sites, where the lens is a key factor that mobile devices just can't compete with.
So, while Android barely edges out iOS (in general) in all the tests that matter, the hardware between decent Android phones and most iOS phones (all of which are decent hardware for their day) is about the same.
It's not the hardware that makes iOS so functionally primitive. It's Apple.
In < PAS suggested:

I have always said that the Apple and high end Android hardware is about the same, so, it's not me who is ever going to say that the end result of Android is better than iOS.
Apple iOS may be a primitive operating system, but the camera hardware is modern.
That Android beats out iOS camera results by only a little bit isn't shocking since the high end hardware overall on both platforms is about the same.
On 4/29/2017 10:17 PM, Tomos Davies wrote:

Why are you concerned with what is or isn't between the two? Why does it matter what anyone thinks? If you don't like iPhone or Apple products, don't buy it. It's that simple. Instead, whiners such as yourself go to extremes with attempts to prove a point usually caused by your own inferior and invidious issues. Get over it and stop crossposting because they no longer give you attention.
In < Meanie suggested:

The Apple iOS users always *claim* that their camera can do things that Android cameras can't, yet nobody can get an answer out of them as to what on earth that could possibly be.
But, they're positive that their cameras are better than Android cameras. In fact, they're positive that their software can "do stuff" that Android can't do.
Yet, they can't think of a single thing that they can do that Android doesn't do, where it's clear that there are tons of things that Android does that iOS can't hope to do.
SO the question is what on earth are they thinking that iOS cameras can do that Android cameras don't already do. You can't get the answer out of them because it's their religion so they just believe it.
But not everyone is a believer in everything the Apple Marketing God tells them to believe.
I am interested in psychology where the psychology of a guy who does his own home repair (eg if he runs his own smoke test to fix lean condition codes, he's a totally different type of person who sends the car to the stealer for the same task) or a guy who is concerned with chromatic aberration is a totally different kind of person than someone who takes all their photos with a mobile device.
It turns out that the person who loves iOS, psychologically, is a cripple in many ways, just like the operating system is, in that they seem to want to take *all* their directives from the Apple Mother Ship, who is, by the way, perfectly happy to oblige them (by feeding them exactly what they want to hear).
Hence, the Apple iOS device users actually think their "cameras" take decent pictures (because that's what the Mother Ship told communicated to the Apple Marketing GPU embedded in their frontal cortex).
What's worse, if you point out the truth to them, they take it as an affront to their religion, in that their religion knows no facts whatsoever - and - in fact - they actually truly believe that there is some functionality (any functionality) on iOS that is not already on Android.
That's just not true.
There is absolutely no fumnctionality whatsoever (camera or otherwise) that is on Apple iOS products that isn't already on Android - and - since Android is a superset - there is tons of functionality on Android that is not allowed by Apple for iOS users.
Things like the ability to organize your desktop any way you want which are so trivial on Android that it's utterly shocking that the simplest of organizational tasks are impossible on iOS.
For example, this is a screenshot of my one desktop screen, which is impossible to even get close to on all my iOS devices.
http://i.cubeupload.com/DHN8PC.gif
It's so trivial to set up the phone the way I like on Android that when I try to organize iOS, it's amazing how crippled the entire platform is.
It's a verifiable fact that the Apple iOS user is crippled (by Apple) in what they can do (and their psychology is that they feel "safe" by being crippled in what they can do), and yet, the hardware is "about the same" as on Android (so it's not the hardware that is crippling what the iOS apps can do). How are they going to load any app launcher? Where is the app drawer functionality on iOS? Why can't iOS users put app icons in different folders? Why can't they simply delete any app icon they want to? Why can't they do something as simple as name an icon to what they want? Where's the youtube without ads functionality on iOS? What about bit torrenting on iOS? Heck, why can't iOS even tell the user the unique cell tower ID anymore? Why can't iOS give a graph of the wifi signal strength over time? Where's the FM radio on Apple devices if the user wants one? What about expandable storage if the user wants it? What about a user-replaceable battery upgrade if the user wants it (this list of what Androidd does that Apple iOS can't goes on and on).
Meanwhile, the Android user, psychologically, is a completely different user who, mostly, just buys on price performance is is willing to understand and listen to facts about the platform.
So, as both an Android and iOS user, all I'm trying to find out is what (if anything) can iOS do that Android doesn't already do, where this question is specifically related to cameras.
I'm not afraid of the truth - but so far - the truth seems to be there is absolutely nothing. And yet, their religion is such that they swear there must be something (anything!) that Apple iOS devices can do that the Android devices don't, by way of meaningful functionality.
Fine. I'm happy for them (and for me). And yet, they still can't name a single bit of useful functionality.
Why not?
On 4/30/17 11:17 AM, Tomos Davies wrote:
Some cut.

A bunch cut.
It's probably nothing fancy other than habit. The individual using it can do things easily with his iOS that would be tougher on Android. What happens when you hop into an unfamiliar vehicle?

Unlike you, the Apple-hating zealot troll, people in the Apple news groups aren't obsessed with whether Apple's stuff is better. A quick scan of past threads shows the only threads where pissing matches are happening are threads created by *you*. The only reason this topic comes up at all in the Apple news groups is because *you* are here bringing it up. You apparently have no life, and get your sick kicks disrupting otherwise peaceful news groups in an all-out effort to aggravate people you don't even know in news groups for products you admittedly disdain. You're a pathetic old man.
[remainder of your useless trollish ramblings rightfully ignored]
In < Jolly Roger suggested:

What's funny is if they look up "troll & Jolly Roger" that has more hits than *any* other keyword combination with troll in the iOS newsgroups!
Try it: https://groups.google.com/forum /#!searchin/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/troll$20jolly$20roger%7C
You have proven yourself incapable of adding value to *any* technical discussion.
This one is specifically seeking something on Apple iOS mobile cameras that isn't already on Android.
Can you answer *that* question?
No? Thought so.
You're the very definition of troll (just run the same search in the iPad newsgroup and YOU come up most when the word is associated with you).
I only speak verifiable facts. https://groups.google.com/forum /#!searchin/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/jolly$20roger$20troll

What's *really* funny is all of those threads you point to are threads *you* created to troll the Apple news groups. Your many nyms are known to the regulars in these news groups: Paul B. Andersen, Adair Bordon, Liam O'Connor, Juan Camilo Blanco, Alphonse Arnaud, Danny D., Vinny Perado, Whitney Ryan, Tony Cito, Adam H. Kerman, Werner Obermeier, Steven Bornfeld, Winston_Smith, Mitch Kaufmann, Paul M. Cook, E. Robinson, Alice J., P. Ng, Tam Nguyen, VPN user, Joe Clock, Marob Katon, Chris Rangoon, AArdvarks, Conradt, Gustl Hoffmann, Henry Jones, Tatsuki Takahashi, AL, Horace Algier, Karl Schultz, Arthur Conan Doyle, Algeria Horan, Horace Algier, Raymond Spruance III, Martin Chuzzlewit II, John Harmon, Yanis Bernard, Stijn De Jong, Abe Swanson, Misha Vasiliev, Tomos Davies - all you, the same nym-switching Apple-hating Android zealot dumb ass no-life troll.

You only lie and troll, because you have no life. You are a pathetic and sad old man whose only joy is aggravating and disrupting Apple news groups because you are filled with irrational hate. You can't die fast enough for the rest of humanity. We will celebrate with a beer the day you finally fall off a cliff and fade away. You will be quickly forgotten by most people, and won't be missed. That will be your self-created legacy to the world. Just pathetic.