County deck requirements

Had inquired here about Trex deck and correspondents my find this enlightening:

Looks like building permits required for both taking down and erecting new. Chuckled when I saw fee for volunteer fire company.

Reply to
Frank

Nice guide for the DIY guys. My deck would not meet code today for the baluster spacing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Important to know local building requirement. I have not checked all counties here in DE but lower Sussex County is different from upper New Castle County. Can be a real PITA.

Reply to
Frank

Our local building cash grab department says if the deck is attached to the house (ledger board/rim joist), the deck requires permits, at least one duplex electric outlet, an inspection and will add 2% value of deck to yearly property taxes.

If not attached to house (free-standing on posts) then no permits required, no electric, no inspection and is non-taxable.

Guess which method I used. ;-)

Reply to
Roger Cook

I went through an incident first year in the house when septic drain field failed and we needed a 2nd field. County inspector came out, glanced into my garage and noticed pull down stairs. I had put them there to use attic space above garage for storage.

He went back, looked at plans for the house, and decided we had added a loft or extra room and added it to our county taxes. I called his boss to complain as it could not be used as a room and inspector had said nothing to me to pull down stairs to look at it. They came out, looked at it and had extra tax removed.

Reply to
Frank

The powers to be hide their stuff (fees / taxes) for the volunteer fire company. In these days volunteerism is down, training is UP, equipment is UP. Only so many hoagies and chicken dinners you can do before the public and members get tired of it. I understand your feelings. If you did any digging they probably have many other buried fees / taxes.

Reply to
Tekkie?

Did they do anything about the drain field? My guess would be no because that was never inspected...

Reply to
Tekkie?