Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus price/performance hardware comparison

what's humorous is you once again, snip everything to alter context.
it's what you do when shown to be wrong.
He who is nospam said on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 18:09:32 -0500:

Heh heh heh ...
On 12/24/2017 11:27 AM, harry newton wrote:

You have hit on it. Apple fans, including kids swayed by their peers or Apple advertising, will accept nothing but Apple, regardless of the cost.

apple haters will continue hating, regardless of facts.
He who is nospam said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 13:59:34 -0500:

This is off topic.
We all know that the world loves Apple products.
In fact, I authored a thread in which you responded specifically outlining all the reasons we all love Apple products in different ways.
Why is the iPhone/iPad one of the most successful mobile device platforms in the market? <https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/x8QlA5W81Yw>
Here is the opening post I made to that thread... "What are the main reasons millions of people, including some of my own relatives, *love* the Apple iOS platform?"
So it's off topic for you to harp on your "apple haters" tirade.
All we want to know here is whether the cold hard facts are correct, and if they're not, what are the cold hard facts about the hardware comparison between the $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus and the equivalent $670 iPhone 7 Plus.
On 12/24/2017 11:59 AM, nospam wrote:

Certainly. That is a corollary of the first statement. I neither hate or love Apple. However up to this point nobody has offered my money to create software for an Apple product so I have little interest in them.
My only brush with one was after I was gifted with a iPod Shuffle. I will say iTunes was one of the least usable interfaces I've ever used.
He who is rbowman said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 19:18:43 -0700:

It's well known that iTunes is an abomination (just google iTunes and bloatware to find that they're associated intimately).
Luckily, you can use an older version of Sharepod, which I use all the time, which allows you to transfer any data to and from any iPod to and from any Windows desktop computer without risk of blowing away any of your songs like iTunes has a tendency to do because of its idiotic restrictive "library" concept.
Luckily for me, I have older versions of Sharepod lying around and sitting on all my iPods - so if you can find an older version - you're good as gold because there are ZERO restrictions.
With SHarepod freeware, you can copy anything from any iPod to any Windows machine without ever needing a login or password or even storing a single bit of the executable on Windows (it runs off the iPod as a Windows executable stored on the iPod).
Basically, you get an Excel-like spreadsheet with the older versions of Sharepod where you just click to transfer anything to anything - where I've very often transferred songs from one iPod to another or to DVD or from DVD or to disk or from disk or whatever.
On 12/24/2017 09:08 PM, harry newton wrote:

My main machine is Linux and my non-Apple MP3 players show up as mass storage devices that I can copy files to. I got the Shuffle loaded and that was that. I have no intention of ever trying to reload it.

So the Linux user "just gave up"...color me shocked!
On 12/25/2017 09:49 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

I managed to fill the iShuffle's 2GB with acceptable music. Why would I ever revisit it rather than use one of my other MP3 players that have much higher capacities? Anyway if I did, there are several applications:
https://www.wikihow.com/Manage-an-iPod-in-Linux

many reasons, including smart playlists, regular playlists, arbitrary groupings, automatic syncing so you don't need to manage everything yourself as well as many other things.
itunes is one of the most popular apps on *windows* because of all of the functionality it offers, and unlike a mac, it's *not* bundled, so windows users have to actually go download and install it themselves.
On 12/25/2017 11:02 AM, nospam wrote:

I do fine with random play, thank you. I don't need the 'walking the dog' or 'taking out the garbage' play list. If someone like the iTunes interface, more power to them. I found it clumsy and since I don't purchase music through iTunes that isn't a factor. Syncing a Shuffle is of little use since the thing if completely full with its limited storage. It is handy in the gym where I can clip it on my t-shirt and that's it's sole function in my life.
Other than straight MP3 players I use the Kindle Fire. Between the Prime selections and the music I buy through Amazon it provides all of the above.

it does that too.

there is no requirement to purchase music with itunes. you can use your own music, from whatever source, even pirated music.
in fact, you can gain amnesty for pirated music using itunes match, where it will give you legal non-drm 256kbit versions for whatever you already have, regardless of its source or quality (although if it's *really* shitty quality, the matching won't work).

actually syncing a shuffle is very useful *because* it's limited. otherwise, you could put everything on it.
sync whatever you want to hear, which can even be automated simply by plugging the shuffle into the computer.

exercising is one of the main use cases for a shuffle, where people won't want to (or can't) fuss with choosing music on a display. it's also small and won't get in the way.
different tools for different jobs.

ok.
He who is rbowman said on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 12:32:37 -0700:

A play list is just a text file. The free SharePod does playlists just fine.
In fact, every music management program I've ever used has play lists. There's nothing special for play lists in iTunes bloatware.
no it isn't
He who is nospam said on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 13:02:12 -0500:

The main problem with iTunes bloatware is that it's *restrictive*. It won't let you copy any mP3 song from any iPod to anywhere else.
Luckily a 100KByte older SharePod executable on the iPod solves that.

no, that's not the main problem. in fact, that isn't even a problem at all.
you need to stop talking about things you don't understand.
He who is rbowman said on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 23:46:47 -0700:

I also have Ubuntu 16.04, where, thankfully, the iTunes abomination won't run natively.
The problem I have with Linux is that Apple never tests their software in the real world, saying that it's "not supported", so they break connectivity for millions of users even when going from something as minor as iOS version 7.0.0 to iOS 7.0.1.
Apple doesn't care about the real world.
On 12/25/2017 02:46 PM, harry newton wrote:

Sure they do. That's why they built in the limp home CPU setting for when your irreplaceable battery is shot. Irreplaceable is probably the wrong word for 'we made damn sure the user can't replace the battery.'

more ignorance. it doesn't 'limp home'.
performance *peaks* are limited, not the overall speed, something which most people won't notice in normal use and is much better than the sudden shutdowns that had been occurring.
it is also something that affects android phones and other devices because it's due to battery chemistry.

except that apple didn't do that at all, so irreplaceable is definitely the wrong word.
all it takes is a screwdriver for those who want to do it themselves, or many repair shops will be happy to replace it for those who don't.
numerous android phones as well as many other products have internal batteries because it makes for a smaller and more reliable device.
some of those *other* products actually *do* have irreplaceable batteries, such as -
the android essential phone, from andy rubin, the creator of android itself: <https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/05/essential-phone-teardown/ The Essential PH-1 (aka Essential Phone) is designed to withstand dents and scratches, but what happens if something breaks on the inside? You can forget about fixing it yourself, apparently. The DIY repair crew at iFixit has torn down Essential's handset, and it's obvious that you're not meant to poke around inside. For one thing, iFixit had to freeze the phone (and break the LCD) just to get inside -- and even then, it still had to get past a mid-frame shield. The USB-C port is soldered on to motherboard, and the abundance of adhesives makes it likely that you'll break something if you somehow didn't wreck the screen going in.
microsoft surface laptop: <https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/17/15824670/microsoft-surface-teardown- ifixit-impossible-repair> There¹s no screws holding the case together, so the technicians were forced to try and pry apart the Alcantara fabric, noting that it was difficult to do without tearing it. Underneath, the individual components are also difficult to remove: the keyboard is glued down, and the motherboard is covered with a series of thermal pads. The team also reports that they can¹t disconnect the battery until several other components are removed, and once they get to it, they found that it¹s glued directly to the case. ... Their verdict? ³It¹s a glue-filled monstrosity. There is nothing about it that is upgradable or long-lasting, and it literally can¹t be opened without destroying it.²
google partnered with ubreakifix for battery replacements for the pixel, which costs the same as what apple charges, $79: <https://www.ubreakifix.com/google-repair/google-pixel-xl-repair/google- pixel-xl-battery-replacement> <https://www.ubreakifix.com/google-repair/google-pixel-2-xl-repair/googl e-pixel-2-xl-battery-replacement>