OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

When I was in the service, a lot of shots were given with a Jet Injector.

As long as the medic knew what he was doing and you didn't flinch as the shot was given, they were, usually, pain free. However, if the point of contact wasn't flush with the surface of the skin in all directions, any given shot could hurt like hell.

I say "usually pain free" because there was a certain shot that didn't fit that category. I don't recall what the shot was for, but it was nicked named the "water fountain shot".

We'd stand in line, waiting to enter the room where the shot was given. About 10' outside the door of the room there was a water fountain built into the wall. Service members would enter the room, get the shot, feel no pain and walk out just like they walked in - until right about when they passed the water fountain on the way out. That's when you'd see people suddenly suddenly clutching their arm and hear something like "Holy sh*t!" or "Damn! That f'ing hurts!"

Even the toughest guys that would never admit to being in pain would sort of visibly tighten up or change their gait just enough that you could tell that the pain had started.

The pain usually lasted about 24 hours, during which time, of course, the drill instructors would make sure that all activities included copious use of the painful arm.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We're in the 21st century, come on....

I'm an athiest so would have no reason to know about church ranks.

That may also be descriptive.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh it's not painful. It's the thought of it being in there.

I've just been told that for kidney dialysis, they have to check your veins are compatible!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

From something most of us will never get or never get symptoms of.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is that one of those things with 50 tiny needles, like an epipen? You would think every injection would be using those. The person giving it requires no special skill to find the blood vessel.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You probably should learn the difference between intravenous and intramuscular. Many, many injections (including the COVID vaccine) are intramuscular and do not require finding a blood vessel.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Yes, there is a great deal of difference between the normal intra-muscular injection (upper arm, buttocks etc) and an intra-venous injection (*) or withdrawal of a blood sample. I've never tried either, but I imagine the second take a *lot* more skill and practice.

(*) I don't think I've ever had one, but I imagine they are used to get a drug into the bloodstream as fast as possible.

Reply to
NY

On Jun 14, 2021 at 12:09:34 PM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Do any?

Reply to
Snit

I did not read all but how about 'in these trying times'. Sick of it

Reply to
Thomas

I think they connect an artery to a vein to form a 'shunt' - the vein balloons out so they have a big volume to connect the cannula. Sounds horrible.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, really annoying. Specially on Usenet. Good example BD.

------------------------------------ BD: I want people to "get to know me better. I have nothing to hide". I'm always here to help, this page was put up at BD's request, rather, he said "Do it *NOW*!":

87 confirmed #FAKE_NYMS, most used in cybercrimes! Google "David Brooks Devon" []'s
Reply to
Shadow

On Jun 14, 2021 at 12:57:57 PM MST, ""Rod Speed"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

I am the same. When my wife and I go to get blood taken the people who do it will ask which of us it is... and if it is her they give out a sigh of relief. They hate getting my blood because my veins are thin and "wonder". It does help to be very hydrated -- but my autonomic nervous system disorder tends to lead to my body dehydrating itself some. That has improved with time and things are not as bad now as they were 10 years ago.

I have had them use the back of my hand a number of times. That is easier but can be a bit more of a "pinch"... but as you found not always.

Reply to
Snit

The one in your butt tended to result in soreness. The USMC answer to that was a three mile run.

Reply to
rbowman

No, it's like a GrayCo airless sprayer.

Reply to
rbowman

Note of caution... OR nurses suck at starting an IV. Three tried and failed on me. The fourth was the charm. When I complimented her skill she said she was a phlebotomist before moving to the OR staff.

Reply to
rbowman

If I get blood drawn at my doctor's office, it's hit or miss as my veins are buried and my arms thin. I turn into a human pin cushion.

If I get blood drawn at the lab, Quest, they get it right every single time. When that's pretty much all you do all day long, you tend to get good at it and they are.

Reply to
pothead

They were not used for any medications that needed to be injected into a blood vessel. They can only be used for intradermal (under the skin), subcutaneous (into fatty tissue) and intramuscular injections.

In addition, there were numerous problems with the type used before and during the Vietnam era. Terms like Splash-Back, Fluid Suck-Back and Retrograde Flow came into existence. All of these situations could (and did) spread disease from patient to patient.

While there are modern versions of personal and/or single use devices in use these days, there are still major health related concerns that inhibit wide spread use.

*** Begin Included Text *** Jet Injector Downfall "In the 1980?s an outbreak of Hepatitis B was found to be connected with jet injections administered at a weight clinic. There were 31 cases of hepatitis B recorded from patients that received jet injections at the same clinic. An investigation on this clinic took place which ?demonstrated that Jet injectors can become contaminated with hepatitis B virus and then may be vehicles for its transmission.? This clinic stopped the use of jet injectors in July of 1985. A few years after the Hepatitis B outbreak soldiers from the generation of jet injection vaccines began to make claims that their diagnosis with hepatitis C was a result of the multi-use jet injectors.

?It?s widely reported that up to 1 in 10 Vietnam veterans have hepatitis C ? roughly five times higher than the rate of the overall population.? (Leung) A large majority of veterans diagnosed with Hep C blame their diagnosis on jet injectors and their unsanitary conditions from person to person. It was also advised that anyone who received a vaccination by needless injector should be tested for hepatitis C. Jet injectors were made with the best intentions and helped to prevent multiple diseases through out the world, but their poor sanitation procedures resulted in the end to an era. Because of these claims, in December 1997 the Defense Medical Standardization Board stated all jet injector devices be discontinued for the U.S. Military. "

*** End Included Text ***
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

At my recent annual physical my doctor mentioned hepatitis c was appearing in my age group and asked if I'd ever had a transfusion, had been exposed to blood, or had been a caregiver. She didn't memtion the Jets.

"The largest group at risk includes everyone born between 1945 and 1965 ? a population five times more likely to be infected than those born in other years."

Reply to
rbowman

I recall as a child lined up with a lot of other kids for my polio vaccination. Brother and sister and lots of other kids too.

I think it was a supermarket but I was pretty young, maybe 4?

Reply to
cshenk

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the best nurses at finding a vein were former military medical personnel. They can start a line in a corpse.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...