OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On Jun 16, 2021 at 2:17:22 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote <sadpp3$6s7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And why do flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?

Reply to
Snit

False.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Not an issue. Context would completely take care of that.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Or even go "get yourself", which is the normal phrase. Whereabouts uses "go get you"? I'm intrigued.

That reminds me of another bugbear: people who ask a waiter or barman "Can I get a pizza" or "Can I get a Guinness" instead of "Can [May] I have a Guinness" (or else, "Can you get me a Guinness"). "Can I get" implies "Can I go behind the bar and pull myself a pint" ;-)

But "Can I get..." seems to be standard usage for anyone under the age of about 40.

Reply to
NY

Because "inflammable" means "liable to inflame" - ie "liable to catch fire".

Firemen and H&S officers and so on never use the word "inflammable" because the "in-" is too often misunderstood to been "not".

I wonder if schools etc still teach the word "inflammable" as part of a child's vocabulary or whether they are scrupulous in always using "flammable" (and its opposite "non-flammable").

It's like the emergency exit signs on German buses/trains "Notausgang". I always have to remind myself that "Not" is German for emergency, and the sign *does not* mean "this is not an exit". ;-) The same thing is true of other Germanic languages: the Norwegian and/or Danish words are very similar to the German one - maybe "Nod" rather than "Not".

Similarly, "gift" in German does not mean a present. It means POISON :-(

Reply to
NY

On Jun 17, 2021 at 1:21:26 AM MST, ""NY"" wrote <saf0mc$n3o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Right... that is the common meaning of the prefix. But not here.

Seems that would be challenging for those of us who do not speak those languages.

I was in France for a while with a French class (I was a chaperone and had not taken the class). It was pretty amazing how much I could read -- generally getting the basic meaning of most signs. Of course signs are made to be easy to read, I am not suggesting I could read a novel. Or even short story.

There might be some overlap in those concepts. :)

Reply to
Snit

I'll ask my kids after school. I would hope that they do teach the word inflammable, along with its proper meaning and why it is best not to use it - to ensure that they understand if they ever come across it.

I have certainly mentioned it myself.

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Jun 17, 2021 at 1:39:06 AM MST, "Steve Walker" wrote <saf1na$psr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I am confident both of my kids know the word -- but they are teens now.

Reply to
Snit

"Yourself" rather than "you" would be better. Many people struggle with reflexive pronouns, although IME it's more common to use "myself" when "me" is correct.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Then there's "Mist". One of my college German teachers mentioned that some clueless company marketed their cigarette called "Mist" in Germany and were disappointed by their sales.

For the non-German-speakers, "Mist" means "manure".

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Chevrolet used to have the Nova. Which in Spanish is very much like "no va" or "no go". I have to say, it was a fair assessment of the vehicle.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Diner addressing the garcon in a french restaurant : ... Excuse me, but do you have frogs' legs?

Garcon : Mais, Oui! Monsieur!

Diner : The hop over the counter and get me a sandwich!

Reply to
gareth evans

Instead of "please pass me the napkins" I've too many times heard "can I see the napkins"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well. it was accurate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ur right, ya know.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

C and F on faucets have caused me problems. When I was a kid my father and uncle plumbed sinks and tubs the easiest way so I have no presumptions which side has the cold water.

Reply to
rbowman

It sounds American.

Similar to "I'm going to get me a..."

Actually, that would probably be "I'm gonna get me a..." and of course it substitutes "me" for the correct "myself".

"Can I get a...?" means exactly what *you* suggest.

The only possible logical answer is something along the lines "I'm sorry sir; only staff are allowed behind the counter / bar".

I knew it had currency in the USA. The first time I ever heard it in the flesh in the UK was in the McDonald's in High Holborn, probably twenty years ago. Queuing for a bacon and egg sandwich* and a coffee, I was amused to hear the person in front of me ask "Can I get a porridge?".

At least he had enough dignity not to ask for it by the term attached to it on the menu (which I cannot recall, but it wasn't "porridge"). And not to add "to go".

[* Just like I asked for a bacon and egg sandwich rather than a "McMuffin".]
Reply to
JNugent

They stand for Cold and Freezing.

Reply to
Max Demian

Interesting.

When you go into a restaurant do you ask for a "corned beef sandwich, with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread" instead of the term attached to it on the menu?

Have you ever asked for wide, flat pasta, layered with alternating fillings of ragù, vegetables, cheese, garlic, oregano and basil?

Does the server look at you strangely when you ask for some meat stock with onions, and a piece of bread, covered with cheese, floating on top?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Jun 17, 2021 at 7:06:35 AM MST, "rbowman" wrote snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

I used to live in a house where they C and H were on the wrong sides. I could have fixed it, but instead just moved the labels on the handles.

Reply to
Snit