OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

OT?, what happens if you put 2-cycle oil in your lawnmower crankcase?

A friend did this his push rotary mower, probably with a B&S engine. I can't get a good answer how much.

It says nothing about viscosity.

Does he have to change the oil?

I thank you and my friend thanks you.

Reply to
mm

Yes. Replace it with 30 weight.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It's not a good idea. It might work, but might do damage. I would not use the mower till it's changed. Its only ONE quart of oil and 10 minutes work. Just change it and be done with it. Save the stuff he drains for oiling tools and stuff, since it should be pretty clean.

Reply to
jw

That is, it is a good idea. He should change the oil.

Okay, I'll tell him.

Unscrew or take out whatever covers the oil intake hole, tip the lawnmower over to that side, and let it all pour in a pan big enough to hold more than a quart. Or a pot if you don't have a pan like that. It will start pouring when it's about 90 degrees, and you can finish up with a pan. Do it on the grass in the backyard. Etc.

Thanks Jon and JW.

Reply to
mm

2 cycle is thinner , doesnt have viscosity additives, isnt designed for the machine, I would change it but it wont kill it right away.
Reply to
ransley

Make sure gas is drained. "It will start pouring when it's about 90 degrees...", Does he have to wait til it's that hot?! *L*

Reply to
Bob Villa

Does he have to wait til it's that hot?! *L*

Thanks. I needed that!

Reply to
Thomas

Actually, there is a drain plug under the deck on most mowers. It gets out more gunk, and eliminates getting oil in the cylinder when a mower is tipped on it's side (which can make it hard to start afterwards due to oil on the spark plug).

Remove the sparkplug wire and get it away from the sparkplug or duct tape it. Raise the mower on a couple blocks with the front or rear end slightly elevated. Get the proper wrench and remove that plug with a container under it. Level the mower till the oil drains. Replace plug, fill with oil, put spark plug wire back on plug.

That's it...

Reply to
jw

No drain on newer Toros, I looked.

Reply to
ransley

What happens is then you get to change it again and put the right pil in, haha.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Really? I suppose, just another way to save a buck and screw the end user.

Reply to
jw

Should work just fine. Using two stroke oil in a crank case is a "work around" for when motors burn oil. Less smoky, while the machine is running.

However, being two cycle means that the four cycle only runs on two cycles, and the power may be a bit lower. Cause it's losing two of the cycles. The extra cycles get dropped on the lawn, and have to be put back after each lawn mowing. They are easy enough to find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WTH!!? To drain the oil, take out the _DRAIN PLUG_. Also "it will start pouring" as soon as the plug is removed even at below zero temperatures.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

One warning though. After you recover the two cycles from the lawn make sure you don't put them in a two cycle engine thus converting it to a four cycle engine. If that is done you'll have to put the two cycle oil into the newly converted four cycle's crank case and I can never seem to find the filler hole on a converted engine. Be careful.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway wrote the following:

I just scoop up the two cycles when I mow with the grass catcher. I throw them in the compost heap with the clippings. I read that the two cycles in the heap will turn the heap over twice a year so I don't have to do it manually.

Reply to
willshak

  1. A lot of cheap push mowers do NOT have drain plugs these days.
  2. 90 degrees, as in ANGLE, not temperature, you dipshit. GASOLINE will start coming out the vent hole in the gas cap when the mower is tipped up at a 90 degree angle.
Reply to
mkirsch1

I was pissed when I tried to drain all my oil, no oil plug, the manual says tip on side but I like getting out all the bottom junk. Its the newer Toro power pace for about 350$

Reply to
ransley

It's tough-in-cheek, moron! (ya notice the face after the Q?)

Reply to
Bob Villa

Some rather expensive mowers don't have drain plugs, either. My Honda doesn't.

Yes, and so will any gasoline. :-(

Reply to
keith

If you can run the motor to get it hot, drain the gas with a siphon, and dump it over on the filler side...it is much easier. Plastic drain plugs strip and metal ones seize. It is the only practical way to do it. (And most businesses do it this way)

Reply to
Bob Villa