what three words

As on topic as much else in here:-)

Anyone care to recommend a download of a map based version for a desk top PC W7?

I don't currently use a smart phone and would like to identify a few locations round the farm where I may need to direct the emergency services. (notification of a controlled waste burn for example).

A search appears to find rather too many for choice!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

if you want to use it on a desktop, what's the problem using W3W's own website, or gridreferencefinder.com ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

None at all if that is your recommendation:-)

I'll have another look.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Right.

If anyone wants to join my next fallen tree bonfire it is at HIGHS.ATOM.UNITED

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I never did figure out how that app was supposed to be more memorable using three words than a map ref. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It also assumes that you can spell :)

Reply to
alan_m

hey, what a waste of good wood and all that CO2 released!

Chop it up and deliver it to me instead! ;-)

Reply to
SH

And, if you're dictating it over the phone, the recipient needs to be familiar with the accent of the sender. To many people a Geordie saying "work" will sound like he's saying "walk".

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Well the whole of my postcode is shown as wrong on that. And the house has 4 different word samples to represent various bits of it...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's the idea, that it's roughly down to "this entrance" resolution ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can I enter the three words into something on their site, to see where the location is? I thought the translation back from the 3W needed you to subscribe for a fee?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Mike Clarke pretended :

Don't even Geodies put on their best telephone accent?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

That's because you don't live in a London starter flat.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I normally use:

John Rumm

Just type/paste it into the box in the top left corner, or link to it like

I think that's their plan for big users, if they can convince big users like couriers etc to use it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. formulated the question :

So it can - you just type the three words into their website and it shows your approximate location on the map.

It was around 30 yards out though, so not really good enough for deciding front door or back door, or even the correct house, but close. Probably of most use when you don't have clue where you are.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

My entire property seems to occupy around 30 or 40 squares - shame the GPS is not up to the job.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I'm a little surprised. Their map is to a resolution of 10m and more to the point it's repeatable.

If someone gives you a wrong phrase then that can explain the error.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ah, I understand the basis of your error. GPS on phones is variable, even so it should get you to within a square. I had an old phone whose GPS was very insensitive and give significant errors.

Reply to
Fredxx

No help whatsoever but this is a rather amusing variation on W3W.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+