Converting ladders to step ladder

Hi all,

I need to trim some high bushes and my bandstand / youngmans platform combo are not high enough. The other day I saw some gardeners using what looked like a standard double ladder with a shorter one propped say half way up to create a sort of step ladder and interestingly the top half of the ladder over hung the propped ladder and therefore able to position you close to the bushes.

I tried to find them online and couldn't. Then got me thinking. I have aulti purpose ladder (one that transforms from a double ladder to a step ladder) and a double ladder. So... Was wondering maybe I could create the same thing using the half of my multi purpose ladder with the step ladder connector on and hook it onto my double ladder. This seems like a potential recipe for disaster but wondered if strapping / u bolting or something the top and strapping between the bottoms would make it safe?

Being able to use the things I have obviously appealing but would appreciate your thoughts on how mad an idea this is Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

You will find them under combination ladders e.g.:

I wouldn't trust it. I have one like this, which I used for servicing lighting in my factories:

Even with the stabiliser/leveller and somebody footing it, it feels a bit unsteady towards the top.

Reply to
nightjar

That sounds like a combination ladder:

I have one, and its handy at times, but I never feel that safe on it if needing to climb past the apex - the lateral stability feels a bit wafty (but I suspect I am close to its design load!) It could probably do with some diagonal restraints between the wide base bar and the ladder.

For gardening, I expect the tripod ladders would be better:

You could probably lash up something that will work as a triangulated section and be stable. You not only need the "prop" ladder, but also a way to fix the angle of it relative to the main ladder. This could be a strap or rope, or indeed another section of ladder section laid horizontally.

The more tricky bit is giving it a wide enough base side to side to be stable without the lateral restraint of a wall.

Reply to
John Rumm

alan_m

I have a 3 section ladder.... I wonder if I could make a gadget or two that would then allow the 3 section ladder to be used like the one in Screwfixes?

All I can see is a "top" hinge and then a metal brace towards the bottom like you get on conventional stepladders....

S.

Reply to
SH

Hmmm just found this:

SH

Not cheap but have you considered

Graham Harrison

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> writes

There is another approach. Lean a short ladder against the bushes/hedge.

Done by attaching something to spread the load to the back of the ladder. 3'x2' ply etc.

Only a small amount of your weight is try to go horizontally.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sounds dangerous. I do not even like those multi purpose ones unless they have outrigger feet splayed wider at the bottom to keep it stable when you to one side when working. I guess, and this is not really serious, you could wear one of those rubber filled suits they use for bomb disposal! At least then you might bounce.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

We call them A frames. I swapped a smoke detector 5.5m high the other day off mine.

I hated every minute.

Reply to
ARW

I totally agree. I only used it where we couldn't get the fork truck in. That had a work platform attachment, which was like working off a scissor lift, except it needed somebody to work the truck.

Reply to
nightjar

I had similar needs a few years ago, and after looking at lots of data, I eventually chose the Zarges Skymaster Trade Ladder 3-Part

3 x 7 Rungs:

Together with their safety legs:

At the time I managed a good deal from Toolstation.

It seems to be very sturdy, and (importantly for one who doesn't really relish heights) feels remarkably stable. It is small enough to fit in the garage, and potentially be used on indoor jobs, yet should reach anything outdoors that I ought to be tackling. It is a bit heavy.

The stabilisers confused me initially (you need to drill and attach them yourself), because they can be used on both extension ladders or stepladders, but not both configurations on convertible ladders.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Local garden supplies place (mowers, chain saws etc) sells ladders that look like tripods, a bit like these for cutting high hedges.

Andrew

Thanks very much all for all your comments. Must say I didn't think about it being wobbly at that sort of height and also the lack of lateral stability. Given I will use them probably twice a year was hoping to reuse what I have rather than buying something new.

Thanks again

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

I have inherited one of these.

You might find one similar on e-bay. The board tied behind the ladder works surprisingly well on hedges. Not tried on bushes.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hi Tim

Yes that looks perfect for the job but not sure I can justify the cost - will look on eBay. What did you mean by "the board tied behind the ladder"?

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

Way up thread:-)

Lash a piece of 1/2" ply to the top of your short ladder. Lean against the bush/hedge.

Reply to
Tim Lamb