adding lip to tarmac

we have a gutter that a down spout discharges into It. Unfortunately it is slightly lower than the surrounding drive so lots of crud and leaves get washed into it. I've tried using a gutter shield like this

but it was only partial success. I'd like to build a little ring around it, about 50mm high but wonder if a tarmac repair kit would work. Would it bond to the existing tarmac? Any alternative suggestions would be welcomed

Reply to
fred

A rubber strip, like a mini speed bump? Build a up with a repeated run of melted bitumen (as used in some road joints and cracks)?

Reply to
Steve Walker

You can get liquid bitumen:

something could be done with roofing felt, perhaps.

Although if the OP wants it to be one piece with existing tarmac I would probably be thinking of more tarmac. You can get it in small bags:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Has anyone tried "rejuvenating" that stuff?

I have about 3/4 of a bag several years old, a GBFO gas burner and could organise a metal sheet to cook it on, if there's any hope it would become workable ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've never used that stuff, but I'd guess it hardens by losing volatile hydrocarbons, since it's designed for cold laying. Perhaps it needs a solvent of some kind?

Datasheet:

it contains 'flux oil', and composition has 0.7-1.8% 'Hydrocarbons, C15-C20, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, < 0.03% aromatics' Perhaps mixing a bit of paraffin or diesel?

Heating it might drive off the remaining volatiles and make it harder?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've seen utility companies sloshing a bit of diesel on it, but never sure if that was to prevent it sticking to tamping tools etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Would that not be a trip hazard though? Depends if its in a place where you might put a foot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Why not just seal around the base of your exiting drain cover?

A one brick high wall the same size as the base of the drain cover?

Reply to
alan_m

I think that would look strange.

Why not make a feature, and use bricks on top of the Tarmac stuck together and to the tarmac to create the raised drain?

Reply to
Fredxx

The photo in the original post shows what is described is a gutter cover is actually a 1 foot x 1 foot drain cover fitted to the bottom of the gutter down pipe and covering the drain.

Reply to
alan_m

Thats a great idea. I had toyed with the idea of a small concrete kerb but was unsure how to seal it. Many thanks

Reply to
fred

It depends what part of the country you live in. In some places a down pipe is known as spouting, gutters are known as shores etc.etc.

Reply to
fred

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Why not just get another gully, the fired clay type are usually flat underneath with just a spigot poking through. Sit it on top of the existing gully, that will provide a lip.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky