Down-Spout extension

If I want to install a down-spout extension and run it under a walk made of pavers resting on screenings/paver-base, can I just run corrugated pipe under the walk section or do I need to run PVC under the walk to keep it from crushing ?

Thanks Sid.

Reply to
Sid 03

The PVC isn't all that expensive. I'd go with the old motto of better safe than sorry.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

What goes over the walk? If it is just a walk and only the occasional human it may be OK with the corrugated if the soil along side is properly packed. I'd run the pipe so the pavers bridge it and not have a seam on top.

If you regularly go across it with your motorcycle, consider the pvc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Traffic: Occasional. (Probably more for looks than function) The pavers are 4x8" and randomly placed to create a 'Tetris' like look. I don't see a way to bridge it. I'll look at how to run PVC for the first 6' and then couple it to the corrugated to go another 30' down to the back of the yard.

Thanks

Reply to
Sid 03

What if I placed a concrete block on either side of the pipe and then a long paver across the top ? Almost makes you want to cover the pipe with sackrete ? Or would that be bad ?

Reply to
Sid 03

I think that would be fine as long as the blocks are tamped down so it doesn't settle later.

Buying a piece of PVC or ABS pipe that is larger than the 4" corrugated so that it can pass through it sounds easier to me. IDK what that pipe goes for these days though. If they have transition fittings or you can otherwise mate up solid pipe to the corrugated, then you could use 4:".

Reply to
trader_4

How about something like this:

Either upside-down or place it underneath and find something to cover it with ?

Reply to
Sid 03

My concern would be aluminum corrosion underground. It may take a long time but might happen.

Decades ago in the back of my house with new lawn and drainage from downspout downhill, I went directly from downspout to PVC. I got new gutter and downspouts a couple of years ago but the PVC is still going strong.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I am seeing prices of $45 for a 10' section of 4" PVC. If I went with 4 of these 'Bond Beam Block'(s) for $10 total that could solve my problem. with PVC I would have to mess with a cutting and gluing a bunch of elbows ?

Reply to
Sid 03

I just googled PVC and it is $18.93 at Lowes for 10'. Aluminum would be $6 cheaper. The blocks you show do look good and I worry less about load bearing than potential corrosion. Working with PVC is easy.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Be careful with terminology; I suspect the OP was referring to perforated drainage pipe rather than corrugated culvert pipe. While the latter is designed to support great weight, the former should be sufficient for a walkway covered with pavers.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

What elbows? I thought it just had to go under a paver sidewalk.

Reply to
trader_4

He said corrugated pipe, that's not perforated drainage pipe.

Reply to
trader_4

I've seen shorter sections of PVC at these places too. Not sure they have them in the larger diameter sizes, but maybe.

Reply to
trader_4

Thought I would post a picture of mine:

My newer downspouts are bigger and installer made connection to my old PVC

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I've used corrugated pipe buried a few inches deep in walking traffic areas for several downspouts, The only problem I've had is the covering soil eroding/washing away over time and exposing the top of the pipe.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I was looking at this stuff: Corrugated Pipes Drain Pipe Solid

Sid 03

PVC would be much cheaper.

Reply to
Jock