step ladders

Hello,

My step ladder has developed a wobble, so I would like to replace it. Are all step ladders created equal or are some better than others?

Silly question: I notice that the ones in the "sheds" have a black oblong of plastic in the middle. Does this serve a useful purpose or is it just somewhere for them to stamp their logo?

TIA

Reply to
Sam

You might find one of these a good buy

as a step ladder, an extension ladder, stair platform etc.

Wickes & B&Q sell them quite cheaply, this site has some gppd pictures of one in use and a video.

The Medway Handyman

Industrial Grade (BS Class 1) are the strongest. EN131 replaces BS Class 2 and is the next grade down, although EN131 is due to get an industrial grade too. Domestic grade (BS Class 3) are lightweight step ladders that are limited to 95kg, that is you and whatever you are carrying. Generally, but not invariably, Industrial ladders should have a blue label and matching feet while domestic grade should be red label. There is no specified colour for EN 131, but BS grade 2 were yellow.

A stepladder with a work platform is both safer and more comfortable to use for long periods. Platforms should also have a safety rail around them and leaning against that, with both feet on the platform, gives you the three points of contact that the HSE require for safe commercial use.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Sam, glad you asked that as I have been meaning to for some time.

TMH, I need to decorate a simple hall,stairs & landing. A three-part affair (i.e. a few steps, square turn, few steps, square turn, top. Nothing fancy - ordinary modern-ish house. Do you think this would give me decent access to the ceiling and upper parts of the walls?

Reply to
Rod

Although it is a good bit of kit, I would hesitate to recommend one to someone who needs just a stepladder. They are heavy, not particularly easy to set up/release, and I find them pretty unstable when used as a stepladder without the feet attached. And of course, fitting the feet takes a few minutes more time. Versatile, and easily stored in a van are the good points, but not as a direct replacement for a home use stepladder.

I bought a Wickes glass fibre stepladder a few months ago for £40 iirc,-

and find it really good, lightweight and stable. Perfect for normal inside use like painting ceilings, fitting lights etc. Not long enough to use for climbing in attics, but then I've got the fold up one that does that. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I leave the feet on all the time - why take them off?

I like it because it means I only carry one ladder in the van (I think you have a bigger van than me?). My big ladder goes on the roof as & when needed - gutter cleaning etc.

I used a customers step ladder the other day, nice & light with a really handy tool tray above the top step, I'd buy one if I could find one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>>> Works as a step ladder, an extension ladder, stair platform etc. >>

Its what I use for precisely that job. I don't do a lot of decorating, often little areas that the householder can't reach - like the areas you describe. I'd reccommend them 100%, couldn't do without mine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thank you. It is coming up soon... :-)

Reply to
Rod

The green fibreglass/metal rung type from Wickes are very stable, with good rubber feet and quite light, with a handy top tray for hand tools.

As a sparky, best steps i've ever used, although a bit more expensive than the basic aluminium types. Hope this helps.

Reply to
dtechy