What is the tool for burning words or designs into wood?

I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know my Dad used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in wood.

Thanks, Robbielynn

Reply to
Susie

It's called a Woodburning kit

can also get custom branding irons, but the words burned are fixed. And it's more expensive.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Are you thinking of a woodburner, which looks (in the inexpensive versions) rather like a cheap pencil-style soldering iron? Simple sets should be readily available at hobby/toy sorts of shops, among other places.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Thanks...I'll get one tomorrow!

Reply to
Susie

Great, I'll call Hobby Lobby and see if they have it. Thanks so much. Robbielynn

Reply to
Susie

Should be a trophy shop nearby that can burn it in with a laser.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

A wood burning kit is nice but all you need is the woodburner tool and a couple of woodburning tips. The one I use the most is shaped like a pie with two flat edges angled to a point.

My best tip for you is to print out what you want to burn into the wood on a sheet of paper with the correct fonts and sizes. Place the paper on top of the wood and burn through the paper into the wood. When you are finished burning peel of the paper with a putty knife and brush. You can then toucch up any missed areas. Burning through the paper also keeps you (and me) from over burning. Don't forget to practice on a scrap piece of wood first. It is also handy to have a fan blowing (on low) to keep the smoke away from your face.

Good luck, Dave

Reply to
Dave

You can buy an inexpensive wood burning iron at most art supply places...

Beware the addiction, though... My wife started with a $10 burner and now has a $200 digital/dual pen/changeable tip setup... As the price of the burning stuff goes up, it changes from "woodburning" to "pyrography".. Sort of like "shop" & "Shoppe"?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I might add, since I'm struggling to learn to sign my work, that practice on similar wood is very helpful...

It looks SO easy when my wife does it, but trying to get rounded or smooth lines without making dots and skips or having the grain deflect the tip is a real challenge...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"mac davis" confessed

Perhaps you could get her to "sign" your works for a small fee. ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Love the idea of using paper as a guide. Very helpful. Thanks

Reply to
Susie

Actually, I am sort of artsy and may get addicted like your wife.

Reply to
Susie

Works great when burning on a business card size piece of wood making custom business cards.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Exactly my problem, Lee!

She got into pyrography so she could put my name and the year and stuff on the pieces, but my clients kept saying that "the artist should sign the work"..

*sigh*

BTW: The initial fee was for the digital burner, 2 pens and a LOT of tips.. :-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Cool... there are many local and internet groups that can help a lot.. My wife is on a Yahoo group that she seems to like..

(I'd prefer my wood burning to be in the fire pit)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Fri, Sep 28, 2007, 7:12am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@bajadavis.com (mac=A0davis) doth sayeth: As the price of the burning stuff goes up, it changes from "woodburning" to "pyrography"..

Not necessarily. I've seen some very nice burning art done with a magnifying glass (and a steady hand), that was called pyrography.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Not necessarily. I've seen some very nice burning art done with a magnifying glass (and a steady hand), that was called pyrography.

We all saw that magnifying experiment in school where sunlight was concentrated on paper till it burned.

Had a guy in my class "borrow" the big magnifying glass and used it to start a fire on a teachers desk from outside the room when her class was in session. He was found out immediately and caught. The fire was very minor and did no real damage.

We did not see him for a week or so after that.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Sat, Sep 29, 2007, 6:23pm leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net (Lee=A0Michaels) doth sayeth: We all saw that magnifying experiment in school where sunlight was concentrated on paper till it burned.

I'm not talking about learning to set ants on fire. This is what I meant:

is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Fri, Sep 28, 2007, 5:04am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave) doth adviseth: My best tip for you is to print out what you want to burn into the wood on a sheet of paper with the correct fonts and sizes. Place the paper on top of the wood and burn through the paper into the wood. When you are finished burning peel of the paper with a putty knife and brush.

I tried that. Found it a major PITA. I prefer either tracing whatever on the wood, or usina a pencil to outline it. THEN go over it with a woodburner. Much preferable in my mind.

However, I found it much less a PITA all around to glue a business card inside, or on the bottom, of whatever.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

My wife uses one of those projector things from Lee Valley.. Throws the image on the wood in whatever size she wants and she traces it..