OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

No idea. I've lived in a lot of different places so I've heard a lot of things that others may find unusual.

I'm not under 40 but I have no problem with "Can I get...".

Reply to
Kelly Phillips

In what peripatetic occupation have you been engaged?

I expect you understand the term "Long pig".

It's yet another Americanism which has crept into British English.

I don't like it.

Reply to
David Brooks

The use of the American "Two weeks" instead of the perfectly good English word "Fortnight".

Reply to
Davey

On many visits to the USA, I have experienced looks of blank lack of understanding in shops and food outlets in response to requests starting with "May I have...?".

It's quicker and easier to say "Can I get...?".

But I would never say it in the UK.

Reply to
JNugent

When I went over to Boston to stay with my sister and her family who were living there for a few years in the late 90s, her neighbour asked me how long I was staying and I replied "about a fortnight". He gave me a blank look and my sister elaborated "two weeks". I hadn't realised until that the word "fortnight" was almost unknown in the USA. But then even in the UK, you very rarely hear "sennight" (seven-night) meaning week, except as a very archaic term - like "four-and-twenty" instead of twenty-four (except when referring to blackbirds!).

Reply to
NY

Why have a special word for two weeks? There's no special word for three weeks.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

We're not immune to such things here in the Netherlands.

Reply to
Kelly Phillips

I detest anything that requires me to use a calculator.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If women are equal, they should act like it. Start walking around topless in hot weather for a start like men do.

There's a reason it's called "race".

Foot lovers?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've heard it before, so it's a second hand theft.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why do you have a problem with that? They're identical in meaning. The only slight difference is whether you're at the source or destination point. If you're at neither, then use either.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

"Just a moment", "I'll be 5 minutes", "just a sec". All very annoying because you have no idea how long you have to wait.

My physics lecturer at university once said "just a moment" when we were attempting to inform him the projector was on fire. He would not allow an interruption until he'd finished the very long equation on the board.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

"What time of day is it?" What other f****ng time is there?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What's wrong with that? Previous analysises would have been less accurate due to less information.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How big is this lot I'm to buy?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

More information doesn't beat common sense.

A reliable source is usually a censored one.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Just in time! :-P

Reply to
David Brooks

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 09:37:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Datsa nize, now wee gut dat settle.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 02:34:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...

Hey some of them turds are smoking when they come out; especially on a cold day.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Jun 18, 2021 at 12:25:21 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

When there is not a consensus on what is "common sense" it is merely saying it is your view. You can have your view and it need not be tied to strong evidence. Heck, I think we all do have such views. But on bigger issues I think it makes sense to be educated and not just go with you gut (common sense).

Gut feeling or do you have evidence of that?

I *do* have evidence to back which sources are more or less reliable.

Reply to
Snit