OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

When I hear it, I think of George Carlin.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Rod Speed explained on 6/10/2021 :

Post haste? Yeah, I could guess forever almost and still never hit the right one.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Rod Speed formulated on Thursday :

Just thought of "I want it done yesterday if not sooner" but that's probably not it either. It'll come to you at two thirty in the morning when you don't need it - and forgotten by dawn if your memory works like mine.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

That one is actually a joke. No-one says it seriously.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

" Bless me Father, for I have sinned. "

The Roman Catholic Church - as usual - refuses to inch into the 19 th century ..

- historic and ongoing subjugation of women - systematic extermination of indigenous races - protecting and transferring pedophiles

etc etc

John T.

Reply to
hubops

"on the qt". ?????? as in on the quicktime

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I don't have any phrases I especially dislike- but what I hate is when people act all intellectual and stuff...talking about Mozart and Beethoven when they?ve never even seen one of their paintings.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I've seen one of Frank Zappa's paintings on Antiques Roadshow. He seemed highly influenced by that Art Deco fella who was all the rage.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Rembrandt was a heckuva fiddle player.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hurry up?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Generally speaking "parkways" are on properties managed by the US Park Service. (at least in the Mid Atlantic) A lot of them were built in the 30s or 40s as CCC projects or for government use but also open to the public. Suitland Parkway is an example. It is a road built to make Andrews AFB and the government complex in Suitland, easily accessible from South Capitol Street in DC. They bought that swath of land when it was cheap, turned it over to the US Park Service and built a 4 lane road through it. At the time is was considered a national security thing. Now days it is just a fast way for Nancy to get from her office to her plane.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, like the Blue Ridge Parkway, very nice.

There is also the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, between, as you might guess, those two cities. No trucks allowed, barely any shoulders, no gas stations or any businesses at all, mostly through woods.

A mile from US-1` and two miles from I-95 which are parallel US 1 is very commericial and I-95 is 6 or 8 lanes. Also parallel to

OTOH, traffic has increase on the parkway 5-fold since it opened

"Plans for a parkway linking Baltimore and Washington date back to Pierre Charles L'Enfant's original layout for Washington, D.C. in the

18th century but did not fully develop until the 1920s. Major reasons surrounding the need for a parkway included high accident rates on adjacent US 1 and defense purposes before World War II. In the mid-1940s, plans for the design of the parkway were finalized and construction began in 1947 for the state-maintained portion and in 1950 for the NPS-maintained segment. The entire parkway opened to traffic in stages between 1950 and 1954. Following the completion of the B?W Parkway, suburban growth took place in both Washington and Baltimore. In the 1960s and the 1970s, there were plans to give the segment of the parkway owned by the NPS to the state and make it a part of I-295 and possibly I-95; however, they never came through and the entire road is today designated as MD 295, despite only being signed on the state-maintained portion. Between the 1980s and the 2000s, the NPS portion of the road was modernized. MD 295 is in the process of being widened from four to six lanes, with more widening and a new interchange along this segment planned for the future. "

In other words, it won't be so pleaant anymore.

Also parallel to Telegraph Road, named after the telegraph line that Samuel Morse built from Baltimore to DC to illustrate the power of the telegraph. This you guys will definitely find interesting:

March 1843, the US Congress appropriated US$30,000 (equivalent to $833,250 in 2020) to Samuel Morse to lay a telegraph line between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland, along the right-of-way of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Morse originally decided to lay the wire underground, ......

The first time people could communicate instantaneously at distances greater than what smoke signals and signal fires could accomplish. Although I've read that even 2500 years ago, a relay of signal fires was used to notify people 100's of miles away of official determination of the new moon.

Reply to
micky

To the rest of the world, a Yankee is an American. To Americans, a Yankee is a northerner. To a Northerner, a Yankee is someone from New England. To a New Englander, a Yankee is someone from Maine. To someone from Maine, a Yankee is someone who eats apple pie for breakfast.

Reply to
micky

You're right. And he might well be the first one to notice it.

Reply to
micky

Garden State Parkway, Palisade Parkway, Merit Parkway don't fit that criteria.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't know the origin of that one.

But this one started with a sarcastic line from a Catskill commedian***, saying "I could care less?" where the intonation** showed that he meant, Could I care less?, and his implied answer was, "No, I couldn't care less."

So it wasn't backwards when it started but at some point, the intonation and the question mark at the end got ignored and dropped and what was left was "I could care less."

***It might have been one specific commedian, but I was little and I don't remember, and if there was one in particular, I don't remember who. **I'm not good at recognizing pitch, but I think you can make most affirmative statements into questions by raising the pitch of the last word, "You're done already?" when the spearker doesnt' think he's spent enough time to actually be done..

If your name is NY, you should know that before airplanes and air-conditioning, the Catskills was the most popular resort area for New York City and the entertainment every night included a commedian. Because of higher elevation, it's cooler there than in the city.

I've only seen that a couple times, but both of them in the last month or so.

What's the other pronunciation?

I don't know but I've used one or two such phrase on a few occasions, in letters usually to businesses.

Reply to
micky

LOL I may steal that from you.

Reply to
micky

Nothing you listed bothers me.

The only thing that bothers me - that truly makes no grammatical sense - is "I could care less".

If you COULD care less, that means you care. The phrase you want is "I couldn't care less".

Meaning, I care so little, I can't care any less.

Reply to
Bob Campbell

LOL nice.

Reply to