OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

So I bet lever is also/still pronounced differently!

Reply to
micky

Yeah, that bothers me too, although I think what I've heard is slightly different. It seems like a phoney effort to look competent and precise because the things described don't even happen in a moment. Often they take weeks. I first noticed this, and I think it started, from people in the Nixon administration

Reply to
micky

I don't think "Please find enclosed/attached" is an Americanism. Scrooge and Cratchit would have been familiar with it (had they existed).

"Here is / are" doesn't really work as well as "Please find enclosed". The idea is to leave no doubt that the item or information being sent is in a separate document (or might be a cheque / banker's draft, etc).

:-)

Reply to
JNugent

The leftist MSM propagandists calling themselves journalists.

Reply to
Buck Fiden

The most annoying thing ever said (and repeated over and over again):

"I won this election, by a lot!"

Oh, wait...it's supposedly better if you yell it like the originator did (and still does).

"I WON THIS ELECTION, BY A LOT!"

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Tucker Carlson

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It doesn't fit the pattern of similar words.

Does it really matter? Both are understandable.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

"Price point" instead of "price."

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Generally speaking, yes. We've got a road called "Huron Parkway" that is just an ordinary road. It's somewhat scenic, if you like trees. It winds several miles from one busy 5-lane road to another one (in contrast to many roads around here that were platted out on a grid). There's no restriction on who may drive on it.

Metro Parkway near Detroit is one of those roads platted out on a grid. It changes its name several times; "Big Beaver Road" always gets a laugh. It could reasonably called 16 Mile Road, to match the system used by a number of Detroit-area roads.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

For those of us who do not pronounce "lever" as "Leeever", the "annoying" pronunciation makes sense.

"Please hand me that levver. I need to get some levveridge."

Reply to
angelica...

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many don't know that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think its the weird way of using old words. Our vision is that this will inform our policies toward carbon neutrality. Ie lots of word to say, lets see if we can do it on the cheap, but I also get annoyed by politicians dressing up things as something else. We were at that time blind to this. Instead of, I cocked it up cos I never read the memo, and in any case why is blind used in that context? Blind is simply in the lack of sight. I mean blind drunk, Blind faith, blind alley??

I also get annoyed with a gradual change to the names of organisations for blind people calling themselves. Vision Australia, or London Vision, or Vision foundation etc, Vision loss is fine, but these organisations sound like some kind of hippy think tank, not a charity to help blind people, what is wrong with blind, or vision loss or partially sighted??

Nothing, its yet another buzz word in the war for being noticed, but now everyone has done it they all sound the same again!

The word Overarching seems to have been created in the last 15 years or so. Strange nebulous word.

My mission statement is to restore plain speaking... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard. I get annoyed by sites that say for more info tap here, then hide it way down the tab order in a page so you loose the will to live trying to focus it to operate it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Exactly In the simplest terms price is an absolute number and price point is an approximate price they are shooting for in development.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't worry, I won't like you any fewer anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Why is there no word as morer? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

...snip...

Apparently the folks at Merriam-Webster disagree with you.

The act of selecting an item on a computer with a mouse (or keyboard) is defined as a "click". The act of pushing a button or moving a switch is also defined as a "click".

click \ ?klik \ clicked; clicking; clicks transitive verb

1: to strike, move, or produce with a click - clicked his heels together 2: to select especially in a computer interface by pressing a button on a control device (such as a mouse) 3a: to turn (something) on or off by pushing a button or moving a switch - She clicked off the light, and we were plunged into darkness again. - I just kept fumbling till I found the remote and pulled it up out of the cracks of the couch and clicked the TV off. b: to change or move through (channels) especially by pushing buttons on a remote control
Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Jun 11, 2021 at 5:58:03 AM MST, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote <w5JwI.12371$ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.iad:

Those on the left tend to use more sources, and the sources they use tend to be more accurate.

Those on the right tend to seek out less reliable sources -- hence why Fox is both the least reliable network AND the most trusted.

Reply to
Snit

Saying less when they mean fewer is annoying to me. My local news makes that mistake almost daily. "Less people attended the art festival this year." Less people? WTH is that? Amputees? They mean fewer people, of course, but it annoys me that I have to mentally translate.

Also, orientated instead of oriented, or drownded instead of drowned.

Reply to
Kelly Phillips

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:45:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

The paved area for parking and driving in front of our municipal building is referred to as a parkway by the police chief.

Reply to
Tekkie©