OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

Tap instead of click. App instead of program. Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent). Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down). People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello. Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt. Forward instead of forwards.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I bet you do not like people parking in a drive way, and driving on the park way.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You might aswell call it a click. It's precisely the same action. I even see instructions on how to fix things say "tap or click", like phone users are too stupid to know that click can be done with your finger.

They both sound stupid. But as an Aussie you're more used to excessive shortening of everything, like "arvo" would never be acceptable in the UK.

The pathetic are the ones that insist on using the "correct" one.

It's a blatant contradiction!

I only need to see it once to want to kill.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I prefer them to do that, what I hate is people parking on the road and not bothering to own a drive.

And we don't say "parkway" in the UK. It's a road.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park

Reply to
gareth evans

In the US a parkway is a road usually in the mountains that is designed for the people to enjoy looking at the mountains and what they can see. Not really ment for peopel to get anywhere very fast. Often restricted to not let commercial vehicles on it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Rod Speed explained on 6/10/2021 :

Cayn't get theyah from heeyah.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I don't think he means "Yankee" the way we mean "Yankee".

He'll probably think of it at some point and enlighten us.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

'expiration date' or 'expiry date'

Reply to
charles

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:55:48 -0400, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to digest...

amazing << nuff said

Reply to
Tekkie©

extension date or extended date

Reply to
%

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only about phones annoys me.

Yes, people should get that right.

Doesn't bother me. But it is interesting that people say both and mean the same thing.

My own car radios have all been factory, but the truck I'm borrowing says "Hi there" and something like Have a nice day, when I turn it on or off.

It hasn't come up. I suppose people get it right or I might notice.

Havben't noticed.

Also. i.e. instead of e.g. People get that wrong more than half of the time, and in reverse too, wrong more than half the time. If they don't understand Latin, they should use English. Maybe they should use English even if they do understand Latin. It looks like an affectation, even in books.

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".

Reply to
micky

OK, I'll bite. What is wrong with that commonly used phrase?

Ed Pawlowski

why not use expiry? It's shorter.

Reply to
charles

One example that illustrates the lamentable level of education in England despite the free and comprehensive schooling from age

5 to age 18 is the use of, "should of" as a misunderstood, "should've", which is a contraction of, "should have"
Reply to
gareth evans

People who use clichés or standard phrases, but get them the wrong way round so they make no logical sense: "cheap at half the price" (it should be "cheap at twice the price" if you mean "very cheap") and that Americanism "I could care less": no, you *don't* mean that, it makes no sense; you mean "[I care so little that] I could *not* care less".

Then there's the ultimate "should of" ("I should of noticed that you were wearing a new dress"). Grrrr. "Should have"... And that makes its way into written English, so it's not just sloppy/hurried speech.

The thing that really makes my strangling-fingers start fidgeting (!) is American-style business-meeting bullshit: "leverage" (always pronounced the US way - levveridge, even by Brits), "blue-sky thinking", "thinking out of the box", "OpEx and RatEx", "run that up the flagpole and see who salutes", "Reaching out [to someone]" etc. I suppose it's an offshoot of business letter clichés from earlier times, such as "I beg to inform you that...", "Assuring you of our best intentions at all times, I remain your loyal servant" (*), and "Please find enclosed/attached..." (what's wrong with "Here is..."?).

(*) Someone overdosed on the Uriah Heep obsequiousness tablets! So cringing that it's prostrate. FFS, just say "Yours sincerely/faithfully" depending whether you started with "Dear [name]" or "Dear Sir/Madam". Except that addressing "Dear Sir/Madam" is not sufficiently gender-inclusive for the Wokesters of today.

Reply to
NY

Now that one I myself like. I think it's really funny and I wonder who first noticed it.

Reply to
micky

On Jun 10, 2021 at 10:32:49 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan:

What about folks with disabilities who look and blink? Why don't they include that?

Reply to
Snit

Visitation is for bishops only.

Bill