OT: inconsiderate shoppers

For some people designer bread is a hobby and they really get into it. God bless them. I have plenty of hobbies tho. I do appreciate a good loaf of home baked bread now and then but not enough to screw with making it. I would rather fix a problem on their computer for them or something and have them bake me a loaf. It is more special that way, for both of us.

Reply to
gfretwell

Traffic lights around here are centrally controlled by computer. There are plenty of times when you can drive 10 miles through a fairly congested area and never stop at a light on the main drag. They use loop sensors in the road, live video and a real operator to fine tune the computer. Usually he is just sitting there watching the cars go by. It does help response time for wrecks, car fires etc tho. If there is a blocked intersection they can tune the lights to work better on the detour route.

Reply to
gfretwell

No it cant when the cars are stopped. That's how the radar works, by doppler shift, so if the car is stationary, the radar can't see it.

To see the volume of moving traffic there. So it can continue to show the line with moving traffic green while ever there isnt anyone who has triggered the sensors in the road itself by stopping on them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And no IRS form to file.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Dunno about milk but we freeze those 0.5l water bottles with the paper thin plastic. It is part of our storm prep. A week or two before the hurricane you start packing the fridge and freezer with water bottles. Take your time so you don't overload it. Then when the power is out for a long time, your fridge and freezer will hold a long time. When it all melts, it is still drinking water that could be hard to come by. They do just fine.

Reply to
gfretwell

Why not just keep secrets from them?

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I assume you mean that you think the compressor won't like running for a long time. Wherever did you get that idea?

Isn't it easier to get a couple of car batteries and an invertor? Then you can power lights and stuff too.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

But it saw it as it arrived.

You know what's really funny? People who flash their headlights at the traffic lights thinking that will make them change.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

But doesn't know that its still there without the sensors under the road.

Never seen anyone do that here. But then its only you lot that end up with the dregs too stupid to emigrate.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In the US a debit at a fuel pump will be a prepaid transaction of $100 or something and they credit back the difference. When you reach that limit the pump will turn off. That can be a problem for people running a low bank balance since the credit back may not be immediate. On a credit transaction they may do a limit check but no money changes hands until it is done. They won't let a merchant get a bank balance from a debit card.

Reply to
gfretwell

No I demand a 1099 ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

That bit was discussing checkout machines that let you authorise the card transaction before the total is known.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I actually have a generator, it takes a pretty big inverter to run a fridge and lots of battery capacity. Having that buffer is still good in case things are really screwed up for a while and you can't get your backup power going right away. I doubt you have seen a hurricane but it is impressive.

gfretwell

At the grocery store all they are authorizing before the total is your PIN and card, the transaction is held there for the total but they are done with the card so you can have it back.

Reply to
gfretwell

The assigned grade is far from all you can tell by looking at a steak. I see stuff with a "choice" tag that is far down from it (select or even standard/commercial) and occasionally you see a prime piece of meat marked choice. That is the kind I try to grab. It is not the butcher's fault. The meat is graded while it was still a full or more commonly a side (half carcass). That grade might not hold down at the steak level. You also have times, usually right near the end of a sale that the store runs out of the choice and throws in a better cut, just to keep the case full. Occasionally I will grab a steak some woman throws back because there is "fat running all through the meat". She wants one that is solid bright red. You might need a chain saw to eat that.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sure. But I never buy steaks already cut up, I buy the great slabs of meat and cut those up myself so I get exactly what I want and get to use the offcuts for stirfry etc.

I don't buy my steak from the butchers usually, I buy it from the supermarket.

Yeah, I never eat that sort of steak.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That is what I am talking about too but they have a butcher shop there. The meat comes in "primals" and they cut them up into the pieces you see in the foam tray. They also grind the meat there.

That is the kind of meat you beat up with a 48 pin tenderizer and use for things you slow cook like country fried steak. .

Reply to
gfretwell

They're already installed almost everywhere.

It's the little jobby on top of temporary lights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No doesn't.

I have bought Whole milk in Sainsburys reduced for quick sale on the day it 'expires' and it lasts another few days before turning.

Semi-skimmed and skimmed milk OTOH sometimes doesn't even get to its stated sell-by date before going off.

Reply to
Andrew

What makes you think that this is what happens?

No, just about contaminated olive oil from Spain and Dutch eggs with salmonella to name but two. None of which we can prevent from entering the UK.

Reply to
Tim Streater