OT: inconsiderate shoppers

Taylor Swift has made around $340 million on her 10 albums. If she never made another one, I think she should be able to stay out of the bread lines even if someone downloaded a few free MP3s. Actually the Napster guy had it right. "When they make music easier to buy than it is to steal, people will buy it" and the fact is, artists make more money selling MP3s than they ever did selling bits of plastic. Basically once they get out of the studio, it is just a computer trick. No CD factory, no distribution network and no stores to share profits with,. They sign up with a bunch of computer companies like Apple or Amazon and cash the checks. Some of these people do not even have conventional studios. They record their voice on a laptop in the basement and add the band in electronically. (many times "stealing" samples from other recordings to build the "band").

Stealing MP3s these days is akin to when we used to sit by the radio with a tape recorder "stealing" songs. Most people would rather give I-tunes or Amazon a half a buck and not have to screw with it to get a mediocre copy.

Reply to
gfretwell

Wrong, as always.

Wrong, as always.

You still stole it.

I know you steal everything you can.

Wrong, as always.

Nothing ever is.

They are free to do that.

I aint going anywhere.

Nope.

Wrong, as always.

Nope, you scum are.

Reply to
Rod Speed

and cats?

Reply to
FMurtz

Let say I spend ten years of my life living in poverty, and develop a better mousetrap.

Should you be allowed to copy my design?

The good side of patents is that they encourage innovation.

The bad side of course is patent trolls.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, it's just a thought, not hard work. If I can make it better or cheaper than you, I win.

Only for the selfish. Some people invent for the joy of it.

Reply to
Stephen Watkin

Most people don't want a better mousetrap, just a cheap one. They are too squeamish to detach the corpse from the trap, and just throw the whole thing in the bin.

Reply to
Max Demian

Open trap, shake over bin, corpse falls out.

Best thing is a "humane" trap containing peanut butter, but don't bother letting it out. They die of dehydration in 3 days. And before you say that's cruel, what do you think the perfectly legal rat poison does?

Reply to
Stephen Watkin

Indeed. Although Napster sold out.

Reply to
Stephen Watkin

I would have thought they would die of hunger before that unless there's a lot of peanut butter. They need to eat every few hours to maintain their body temperature.

Well Warfarin causes them to bleed to death, usually internally. (Curious that they use the same name for the variant used to treat thrombosis.)

Reply to
Max Demian

I've watched a cat die of strychnine. Horrible.

Should only be used on politicians.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing Humane about them. Better a quick snapped neck/back than a slow death from starvation/cold. If you release them in your garden they are back in the house before you are. If you release them miles away either they don't find somewhere to live or they don't know where the food sources are or the locals gang up on them (no beneficial immigration policies in the rodent world).

Thins their blood so they bleed (internally) to death.

Reply to
soup

Surely like us water is more important than food?

I dunno what's in the Rentokill stuff, it's a blue powder that dehydrates them.

Reply to
Stephen Watkin

I can tell that you work with your hands, not your mind.

When you get home with a headache every night, and can't sleep for worrying about the problem you need to fix - then perhaps you'll understand.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, real actual things that exist.

How on earth is that anything to do with this?

Reply to
Stephen Watkin

They're vermin, I really don't care how they die as long as they end up dead.

Reply to
Stephen Watkin