OT: inconsiderate shoppers

What is it with people taking food from the back of a supermarket shelf, just to get an extra day on the sell by date? Then the next day, nobody's taken the front ones, so it's 2 days difference, and people are more inclined to take the back ones, and so on until the front ones go off, get thrown away, and put the price up for everyone. THINK! Stop being so fucking selfish!
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:00:55 -0000, Undersized hippopotamus wrote:

Only look at dates for short life products, < 7days. For most things I don't bother, nose and eyes work quite well.
Not checking dates caught me out on Friday last week, SWMBO'd found an item from that shop with "Use By: 23 Oct 2018". It's in the fridge, I'll be taking it back with the reciept. Different variety of same product bought on the same day has "Use By: 29 Nov 2018", so the product is well outside my checking range.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Lidl's cottage cheese goes off 3 days before the date. Perhaps my fridge isn't cold enough, I've turned it to minimum and will turn it up gradually if anything ices over. Although I've not had any other product from anyone go off before the date, but when I've seen "half price!" offers on the cheese in Lidl, it's not off on their shelves, so I guess I can try keeping it colder.
Since the shop is so small, I usually buy the whole shelf anyway, so picking the back ones isn't an option.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 19:18:02 -0000, "Undersized hippopotamus"

I keep one of those cheap indoor outdoor thermometers in both of my refrigerators. The "inside" unit is in the refrigerator compartment and the remote "outdoor" probe is in the freezer. Then I can tell instantly how they are doing.
https://tinyurl.com/y7mcpehq
I shoot for 36 or so in the fridge and the freezer cruises around -4F

I don't see the need for that. If the food doesn't feel cold, or it goes off prematurely, I turn the fridge down. If it ices over, I turn it up. And I can tell roughly how cold food is when I take it from the freezer. In any case I just have the freezer on full power - colder makes the food last longer, right?
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:01:39 -0000, "Undersized hippopotamus"

I guess I am willing to spend a few bucks for a little more precision in how I store a few hundred bucks worth of food.

For the freezer, you can't damage it by it being too cold, so just run it full power. Although I guess that wears out the compressor.
For the fridge, where's the harm in just turning it down to almost freezing point?
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 22:29:29 -0000, "Undersized hippopotamus"

How do you know what is almost freezing without a thermometer?

Turn it down until some food forms ice on it, then turn it up a bit.
Or use your finger! Don't you have any sensory apparatus?

It gets rid of all of those pesky decimal points when you are talking about small gradients in temperature like how cold your fridge is. I can use both in round terms but when I want to get more precise F works better for me. It is really just what we grew up with. That is sort of like why you drive on the wrong side of the road. Most of the world is on the right side. (as in Starboard)

You don't need to know anything less than 1C difference.
And why are decimals so complicated? Is that because you lot only have math instead of maths?

But C is more sensible, it's easier to have the zero at freezing point and the 100 at boiling point. I can easily know if it's going to be frosty outside as it approaches 0.

I grew up with F then changed to C as it's so much easier.

And they're all wrong. We read and write from left to right.

It's not 37, it's 37 +/-1.

Thanks for backing up my point. Read your own link, it's an AVERAGE.

AROUND 37C, exactly what I said! Are you deaf or something?
I once had my body temperature tested as 38C by a nurse. I asked if that was a problem and she said no, as long as it's within 1 degree there's not a problem. Why on earth do you think your body would react that precisely? Above about 38 and you sweat, below about 36 and you shiver.

Pssst.... it's because they're thick. 2 points lower average IQ....

For the really stupid folk, who think cat food is made from cats.

I just freeze anything that needs to be kept longer. And yes you can freeze most stuff that says you can't.

And what do you do about it?

I've had 3 litre containers.

It does that because people like you have removed all the new stuff, leaving only very old milk on the shelf. At some point someone only has the choice of milk that lasts 1 day.
If only they sold 1 litre at half the price of

You do realise how much packaging costs?

Bulk sale is always cheaper, for many reasons. Transport, handling, packaging, selling more to one person therefore less transactions, etc, etc, etc. Why else would they be selling the larger ones much cheaper?
On 10/29/2018 10:10 PM, Undersized hippopotamus wrote:
And stop adjusting the newsgroup line. OK