OT: Danger! Time warp!

Around here the EPA gets all worked up about biohazards in the waste water.

Reply to
rbowman

Apropos, one of our programmers hung a clock on the cubicle wall a couple of months ago. It's colorful, sort of a satellite photo of the earth with the hours in Roman numerals.

Today one of our QA people noticed IX was repeated twice instead of XI after X. Testers are like that, always finding fault.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman wrote

Yep.

We don't.

Ours is 7,310'

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes, there's 3 timezones in Kiribati:

Pacific/Enderbury (UTC+13:00) Pacific/Kiritimati (UTC+14:00) Pacific/Tarawa (UTC+12:00)

None of these have DST.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

The AWS outage interfered with my downloading a podcast.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I was actually thinking of nuclear war survivors living underground so daylight has become irrelevant.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

You probably don't have an absolute bedtime, but you do have appointments.

Rounding shouldn't be that hard, both 2:40 and 3:20 (to the nearest hour) are 3. I find it much easier to discard unnecessary information (as in rounding) that trying to figure out what those hands mean.

I grew up with analog clocks. Then I found something better.

BTW, I mostly missed LED watches (where you had to push a button to tell time).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Apropos, one of our programmers hung a clock on the cubicle wall a

And I seem to have heard that 4 is supposed to be written IIII (they Romans had something against IV).

BTW, there's also a story about empty cages someone keeps lions in in months with an X. After being told that no months have X in them, he said "don't forget about IX, X, XI, and XII".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That the best you've got? The Big Snowy Mountains aren't that high but they're an island mountain range in the middle of a plain that makes them stand out. The real kicker is if you examine the rocks along the summit ridge you find marine fossils. The tide went out a long time ago.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm not that fond of IVs myself.

Reply to
rbowman

I was working on a web based map. We're an ESRI shop so their Javascript API gets loaded from their CDN, and we also pull the base maps from their servers. I'd made a couple of changes and when I reloaded the page it stalled out. I thought I'd screwed up but when I went directly to the ESRI home page it was dead too. Then I think I hit ArsTechnica and they were already reporting the problem.

The real irony is while ESRI is California based their stuff is on us-east-1. For historical reasons it's cheaper to host there than us-west-1.

Reply to
rbowman

fronts have no 'pressure'

you are talking bollocks.

Reply to
Tjoepstil

A dark grey car traveling on a dark grey road on a cloudy day is nearly invisible.  A dark grey (or black) motorcycle is even worse.

Unless you want people to pull out in front of you, I'd think you'd want DRLs.

Reply to
Buster

Okay, the LOW PRESSURE AREAS that are often associated with a COLD FRONT may cause a change in barometric pressure. Happy now?

Reply to
rbowman

When you ride a bike you soon realize you are invisible to the average motorist. Having a headlight on might give you a little edge but it's best to assume they are not going to see you and plan accordingly.

The argument against DRLs on cars is it eliminates whatever slight advantage a headlight on a bike might bring.

Reply to
rbowman

If you find any of the above invisible, you shouldn't be on the road. I have never failed to spot any car against any background during daylight hours. You clearly have a major eyesight defect and should consult an optician immediately.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have no trouble seeing motorbikes, but since they like to sneak through gaps and travel a lot faster, they should be lit to draw attention to them if they're in unexpected places. Anyone with lights on their car is a danger to motorcyclists and should be banned from driving.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I dread to think how you managed to watch black and white television. Things don't need to be a different colour to distinguish one from the other.

Shining lights at people distracts them and prevents them being able to see unlit objects so easily, like pedestrians. Stop being so selfish and dangerous and turn them off.

When someone drives towards me with those blasted things on, I engage full beam to demonstrate what they're doing. Some DRLs are actually as bright as full beam! At least when Sweden had running lights on their Volvos, they were sidelight brightness. You only need bright lights to illuminate another object, not to put markers on yourself.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You need to go back to school and learn the difference between "nearly invisible" and "invisible".

Reply to
Buster

As I said, I'm talking about climbing a mountain not in three days.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword