OT: Danger! Time warp!

Mine has a rotary dial, but it's digital, it senses me turning it and changes the readout on the display. It changes depending on how fast I turn the dial, which is nice.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What happens if you press "start" while it's running? Mine adds 30 seconds to the cooking time. What happens if you press "start" before anything else? Mine starts cooking on full power for 30 seconds.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The stone is more versatile:

Gary's weather forecasting stone: Stone is wet Rain Stone is dry Not raining Shadow on ground Sunny White on top Snowing Can't see stone Foggy Swinging stone Windy Stone jumping up and down Earthquake Stone gone Tornado

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

amount

As you said earlier time is just numbers, move the numbers or use them differently.

It doesn't tick, it counts. It counts the frequency of the emission from a specific transistion of a specific ceasium isotope.

The important thing to remember is that time is not a constant but a variable. Indeed have two identical atomic clocks that are showing an identical count of time and keep perfect sync with each other essentially forever when close together. Move one to the top of a moutain for a while and bring it back. The count of time displayed by each clock will no longer be identical.

That's the problem, a "day" is defined as the period of time from say noon to noon, trouble is that is anything but constant.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice
[snip]

I wish it would, but in both cases it does nothing. A new ROM might fix that, but probably does not exist.

There's also a couple of blank buttons (on either side of '0'), which also do nothing.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Thu 02 Nov 2017 07:28:10a, told us...

There are many things I tme in seconds. I doubt a doa; would be that accurate.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I hope you test Kiribati :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Decent doa;s er.... dials have the first bit wider apart so you can see = the seconds.

-- =

You can lead a man to Congress . . . . . . but you can't make him think.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Funny, any microwave as old as yours I would have broken by now. They usually die when the water condensing on the bottom shorts something out inside the workings. Maybe I should dry them out after cooking?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mine are never wet after cooking.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Indeed, alcohol solves all.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It changes a lot slower than you climb a mountain (unless it's Everest and you're taking a day or three to climb it).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

e:

ote:

I fail to see the point in that service, what's it for?

-- =

A boomerang that doesn't come back is a stick.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd put them in a sewage plant.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They fail at this. In daylight, all things are 100% visible. Adding lights to them doesn't help, all it does is distract, and reduce the chances of seeing the edges of the object.

Most of them are. Most DRLs are brighter than dipped headlights, this is pure insanity. If you want lights to tell other motorists you're moving, then use sidelights. 5w or 10W, no more!

But when everyone has DRLs, you still notice all cars equally, so all they're doing is temporarily giving priority to those with DRLs. And once everyone has them, things without DRLs, like pedestrians, are noticed less so they die.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Seconds on a time of day clock are not needed, which is why they were only used for a basic stopwatch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Because our brains run really fast?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But you don't often need absolute. You just want to know what sort of time it is. I often glance at an analogue clock on the wall of my living room to see I have about 3 hours before bedtime. I don't care if it's 3 hours 20 or 2 hours 40, just somewhere around 3 hours. In fact I usually just look at the hour hand.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Are you familiar with the concept of a high or low pressure front moving in rapidly? If you're just walking up one mountain you're generally correct. If you're off on a multi-day hike good luck.

A lot of it is handled by GPS now but airports have their elevation prominently displayed. You twiddle the aneroid barometer in your Cessna to match the known elevation. I would do the same with the watch since knowing the altitude of a trailhead was usually easier than getting accurate barometer info.

Reply to
rbowman

What do you call them? Those little hills over there? The Snowies? We've got the Big Snowies and the Little Snowies. The big ones top out at 8,681'

Reply to
rbowman