OT: Danger! Time warp!

That is the case for many. Personally I'll soon be at the point where working is counterproductive. The monthly benefit increases for every year you delay filing past the nominal retirement age until 70. After that they can't force you to file but the benefits will be as good as they'll ever be. Then at 70 1/2 you're required to start dispersing your IRA savings. Contrary to some people's belief all of this is taxable income and when added to your work salary can lead to an unpleasant surprise on tax day.

Part of the legislation was to encourage older people to get out of the workforce, creating jobs for the next generation. Unfortunately given the current birth rates the next generation tends to be low skilled warm bodies.

It's a slow motion example of what has occurred many times in history with bands of fellaheen wandering through the ruins of a civilization they no longer can comprehend. It's also a popular SciFi topic, q.v. 'A Canticle for Leibowitz'.

Reply to
rbowman

I used to get up earlier and arrive at work earlier. Then I noticed some of our people schedule their disasters for 16:30 and I'd wind up putting in 10 or 11 hour days so I adapted. I still put my foot down at Friday

16:30 disasters. The mantra is 'Don't screw anything up on Friday.' This doubles down if the Friday precedes a long weekend.
Reply to
rbowman

If you have to work 2 hours late, simply get overtime payments or come in late/leave early another day.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Never heard of that in the UK, mind you I've never applied for a pension yet. AFAIK you get a fixed amount whatever age you are. If you choose to work after the official retirement age, you get your pension AND your salary.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In the US it's a gamble based on the actuarial tables. File earlier and get a reduced amount for longer or wait and get a greater amount for what statistically will be a shorter period. The full benefit is paid at

66, reduced benefits at the minimum enrollment age of 62, and increased benefits at 8% per year if you delay past 66 up to 70. Inflation also enters into it but the break even age is somewhere around 85.

You do get your pension and salary but the pension is taxable up to 85%. It turns into a real accountant's game plus rolling the dice on how long you personally will live versus the actuarial tables. If you're sickly, grab the money at 62 and run.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm an exempt employee so there's no overtime. otoh, that gives me flexibility to come and go as I please as long as I'm available as needed. Theoretically I can be reached by phone but for some reason I tend to lurk in areas with no cell phone coverage. Oh, well.

Reply to
rbowman

I suppose you know the clock has nothing to do with it. You get more daylight in the evening, by getting things done earlier.

Reply to
Sam E

True if you work your own schedule. Most of us have gone to school and jobs where the ours are dictated by someone else.

Personally, I'd like to see longer periods of daylight in the winter. The politicians in Washington should just change the orbit of the earth.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

  Doggus Maximus the Handsome Hairball gets me up whenever it gets light out . Except those mornings when the wife has to get up earlier to make it to work . Those mornings it's about 15 minutes after she gets up .   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

  I figured out which way would give me the maximum payout based on how long my ancestors lived giving me an idea of my LE . Filed at 62 and haven't looked back . My breakeven was around 92 IIRC , I figger to die in a fiery motorcycle crash long before that . Or maybe get shot by a jealous husband ...   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Presumably you're talking about state pension, which is f*ck all in the UK. Private pensions presumably have their own rules.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We should stop living in stupid places. Everyone should be around the equator.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

hour into the future, as our clocks are out of step with reality.

g the clocks, we can make it lighter in the morning or lighter in the eveni ng (much preferred). During summer, we don't need to do either, so might a swell leave it the same as whatever we chose in the winter.

ght. Very few people are earlybirds.

ur places of work open, etc.

I am old enough to withdraw from my retirement savings without penalty, but I am not old enough to draw Social Security.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

My brother made it to 92. Personally I'd go with the fiery motorcycle crash. Life was sort of closing in on him in his last years.

Was out on the bike yesterday but the end draws near... I keep the DR650 ready to go since that's the closest thing I've got to snow tires on a bike. The Harley is already hibernating since it really doesn't like cold mornings.

Reply to
rbowman

Not sure what you mean. What penalty? Surely you just get paid less for longer, or get nothing for 5 years?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We had a colossal screwup last Friday at about 4 pm. Our lone IT guy (who created the disaster, but to be fair I probably should have prevented him from doing it) went home to fix it by remote login. He figured if he was going to be working late, he could do it from the comfort of his home.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Some of us don't get overtime payments, and if we take off compensatory time, our regular work still isn't getting done so it's not worth it.

I swear, my co-workers wait until I take a vacation day to break things and give our customers wrong answers.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

A small nuclear war might do the trick... Gonna spiral into the sun sooner or later. Might as well get it over with.

Reply to
rbowman

one hour into the future, as our clocks are out of step with reality.

ging the clocks, we can make it lighter in the morning or lighter in the ev ening (much preferred). During summer, we don't need to do either, so migh t aswell leave it the same as whatever we chose in the winter.

light. Very few people are earlybirds.

, our places of work open, etc.

longer, or get nothing for 5 years?

I don't have a defined-benefit pension through my employer. Like many Americans, I have my retirement savings in a government-regulated plan for which there is a penalty for withdrawing any money before you turn

59.5 years old. The advantage to this plan is that the money was not subject to income tax when I earned it, but it will be when I withdraw it. The idea is that one's income will be lower during retirement; thus one ends up paying less tax on it.

The money in this plan is invested in a portfolio of mutual funds of one sort or another.

When I turn 62, I will be eligible for Social Security (the government pension), but the longer I wait to take that money, the more I will receive each month.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Prick.