cistern washer don't last 6 months

Our wc cistern washer only lasts ~6 months between me having to replace the washer and/or bend the ball valve arm (again). The water pressure is high in this area and seems to defeat whatever valve I put in there. I tried a brass ballvalve with a brass "slider" for the washer - (in the hope that "quality" might fix it) - but even that doesn't last! Is there some way I can reduce the pressure to the wc but not to the rest of the house?

Reply to
dave

En el artículo , dave escribió:

Put a valve in the feed to the cistern and turn it back a tad. One of these:

Mike Tomlinson

That will just reduce the flow rate, not the pressure once the valve starts to close.

Reply to
Davidm

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 19:07 dave wrote in uk.d-i-y:

4 years ago I fitted one of these:

to my new cistern (after throwing away the piece of crap supplied with teh cistern).

We have high water pressure, though I have a regulator to take it down to about 5 bar.

That valve has been very well behaved and I like the fact it's got a nice solid brass inlet thread.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Davidm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

&ff14=95

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Indeed. Something like this would be much better.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That will only reduce the *volume* not the pressure. The water pressure will remain constant whether it is flowing through a 15mm valve/pipe or a 1mm.

Reply to
Bod

Ah! I see someone else has already said this :-)

Reply to
Bod

Are you sure you have not got a low pressure valve in there rather than a high pressure one? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Note that this type of pressure reducing valve doesn't work very well when there's no flow - the static pressure will be higher (although probably not as high as the inlet pressure). The spec for this one evens states "dynamic control only" - i.e. doesn't control the static (no flow) pressure to the same extent.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:lb5o5c$t2o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Good point - but I was assuming that errosion was taking place when the valve is open - due to the high pressure and high flow.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Ah, well spotted! I just looked for the cheapest and clearly "cheapest" isn't always what you want.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks for all replies - a soln is not so easy it seems but a few things I can try.

Reply to
dave

Tim, Think I will get one of these. Do I need anything else (kit wise) to fit this (handles etc) It's not clear from the pic and Wicks et al don't know.

-Dave

Reply to
dave