Weird humming noise from water pipes

Sometime in the last week or three something odd has happened in my mother's house. There's a downstairs utility room which has a WC in it; when it's flushed there a second or two of silence then an increasingly loud humming or moaning sound - which mum tells me is audible also in the room next door and the one next to that (a kitchen). The sound continues for 20-25 seconds then dies away.

The WC cistern is inside a sort of cupboard, which I opened last time I was there. There's no sign of any water leaks (mum's biggest concern). When the WC is flushed the copper pipe which brings water to the cistern is definitely vibrating. If I grip the pipe the vibration and sound both reduce. The CW comes from an attic CW tank which must be about 20 feet higher.

I assume the noise is audible elsewhere because it's being carried along the CW pipe to the kitchen...

But why would something like this suddenly start?

The cistern's float and the valve it operates seem to be working fine, though the valve is a but grungy on the outside. I did wonder if it might have something adrift inside causing turbulence in the water flow, and in turn whether that could cause a problem in the supply pipe?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts scribbled...

Artic

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 03:16:31 -0000, Artic > house. There's a downstairs utility room which has a WC in it; when it's

It's not hammer, it's his valve playing at being an oboe.

Just change the washer in the valve, it has got the nozzle of the inlet impressed into it, causing it to vibrate like a musical instrument. You could hear mine three houses down in the middle of the night at one time.

As an immediate relief, reduce the pressure of the water going to the system if you have a valve to do this.

Reply to
EricP

Are you sure the CW is fed from the loft cistern?

Are you sure you know which ball valve is making the noise?

As others have said - a new washer is likely to solve it as the errosion pattern on the washer is causing a vibration.

Reducing pressure is an odd suggestion and would only work if it is the tank in the loft making the noise. It doesn't reduce the static pressure (so yuo will get a blast when the valve first opens) but you will get an annoying reduction in the flow rate and maybe noise from the stop tap.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In message , EricP writes

I had the same problem with the a hot tap (a quarter turn type) in the kitchen. The whole house was suddenly filled with a loud buzz. It was most alarming. It sounded like a large mains transformer that had suddenly developed a short circuit on the secondary - but I couldn't imagine what electrical equipment in the house would have a transformer large enough to produce such a noise.

I was upstairs at the time, and as it wasn't obvious where the noise was coming from, so there was no way of stopping it. I then thought "water", and soon afterwards managed to track down the culprit. I found that unless you turned it off very slowly, the tap would always start the buzz going - and even then there was no guarantee that the buzz would not spontaneously start off later on.

I examined the cartridge, but couldn't see anything wrong with it. As I live in a very hard water area, I suspected that some unseen chalk deposits might be affecting the sealing (although the tap showed absolutely no signs of dripping), so I gave the cartridge a good soak in Kilrock-K. Afterwards, it was a bit better, but the buzz would still occur from time-to-time. In the end, I replaced the cartridge, and that cured things.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Well, does the pipe at any point have a longish horizontal run? I had an issue like this a long time ago when I could see and for some odd reason all it was was a clamp that had fallen to bits in the middle of a longiish horizontal run. Refixing the pipe stopped it, where there was air in the pipe making it slosh at a high frequency or what I never did find out!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Could be, but modern washers seem more immune to this almost perished state than older ones were. One way to test it is to forcible move the float up and down and see if its position dependent, if it is and the flow does not vary that much then it is probably time to change the washer and de lime scale the valve. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I can't see why the pipe to the cistern would have, as the water tank is more or less vertically above the utility room, and I know water pipes run down through an upstairs cupboard that's between the attic and utility room.

Underfloor access is very poor, especially from my point of view as an overweight unfit Gruffalo.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I think the washer more than likely isn't very modern - maybe as much as

20-30 years old. Next week, as a break from fake festive cheer, I'll see if I can get the valve apart.
Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Is this the only loo? Have a bucket ready to fill from the bath for flushing.

An untouched 20-30 year old ball valve, even in a soft water area, is quite likely to be "reluctant" to come apart. I'd just get a Torbeck(*) valve and replace it...

(*) Silent fill equilbrium valve, Torbeck is a particular brand others are available. Silent and faster filling than the traditional ball valve.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:l8rudj$vof$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No-one would want to change a cheap washer without good reason! What is preventive maintenance?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Thanks to everyone who advised me about this - replacing the diaphragm washer in the fill-valve fixed the problem.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts