OT: Danger! Time warp!

Can you do that at your age?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In fact they were not made in the equatorial regions.

Simon Jones

Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

I never saw that. If you ever attended a school board meeting or the like that is the refrain for every knuckle headed idea coming out.

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:05:28 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

I worked at a school where they introduced a stupid electronic registrat= ion thing at every single class. They claimed it was for the safety of = the kids (like there's a paedo round every corner or something). A teac= her once said to me "if just one child is saved it's worth the effort". = I pointed out to her that if we all gave up our cars that 1000s of kids= would be saved, but she didn't understand the analogy. Teachers aren't= the sharpest knives in the drawer.

-- =

I once got the stuffing beat out of me fighting for a girl's honour. She wanted to keep it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Are you hoping I am?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I was asking a simple medical question.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You do realise I could just ask someone else your age?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

ote:

Five nines?

-- =

Mary had a little lamb, unfortunately it's dead. So, now it goes to school with her Between two bits of bread.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Maybe, but most people aren't used to it, since the traditional clock has only 12 hours marked around it. It might work better with 24 markings around the clock, but that would be crowded.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I wasn't trying to be precise, just making a point.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I like your sig.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip]

True, and that's a good example of the big difference between "simpler" and what people are used to.

I think the way I'd do it is to have BIG markings at the 4 "corners" (top, bottom, left, right; 0, 6, 12, 18), regular markings on the even hours (2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 16, 20, 22) and smaller markings for the hours in between (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23),

Anyway, it's better to use digital displays. What you read IS the actual hour:minute:second without the need to figure it out from the position of the hands.

BTW, it seems to be true that for most people, the only benefit of having a clock show seconds is that it's easy to see when it's working.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Not so good to see relative times: an analogue dial makes it easier to see how long it is between 10:40 and 11:00 without having to do any mental arithmetic: just look at the angles.

Pulse rate? Timing half a minute to heat custard in a microwave?

Reply to
Max Demian

There just isn't room for 24 things on a dial. Perhaps hours should be longer?

But hands give you an immediate idea of where you are in the day without any thought. Look at the speedo or revcounter in your car, you can tell if it's slow or fast without needing to know the exact number.

It used to be for timing things, until the stopwatch function was added to watches.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's one of two things I've never managed to do. I can never find my pulse.

The other thing is body temperature. Sticking a medical thermometer under my tongue never gives me more than about 30C. Yet a doctor always gets the correct result, so I'm not broken inside.

A microwave has a timer. On mine I never bother with the complicated buttons, I just press "start", which gives me 30 seconds. If I want 5 minutes I press start 10 times.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd love to see this calculation.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You mean people were even stupider than they are now? Surely that's not possible?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They don't. Everyone I know realises it gives you more or less light in the evening, and more or less light in the morning.

Government departments just love making rules and regulations for the sake of it, presumably to create jobs for themselves.

Er what?

What was the reason?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've never liked the idea of pensions, I prefer simple savings accounts.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nice and even, none of this 18 hours a day darkness in winter.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword